Honored Contributor

Re: When did dark roots become a desired look?

@wagirl wrote:

And when is the beachy curls thing  going to die? Ugly, ugly ugly and EVERYONE has them.

@wagirl  If I could like this 100 times I would!

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Blondes with 2 inches of dark roots showing are not my idea of looking attractive. Natural blondes are a blend of blond, and brown mixed together with no obvious demarcation of "roots." There is a vast difference between the two.

Most hairdressers say not to go 2 shades lighter or darker if you choose to color your hair. Clearly, a lot of people don't heed that advice and thus the dark roots.

Think of Grace Kelly.. Would she have looked the same with 2 inches of dark roots showing? Somehow, I don't think so.

I think she'd have looked better with some contrast. I was never a fan of helmet hair. I don't think het hair looked so great or natural. 

Respected Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Blondes with 2 inches of dark roots showing are not my idea of looking attractive. Natural blondes are a blend of blond, and brown mixed together with no obvious demarcation of "roots." There is a vast difference between the two.

Most hairdressers say not to go 2 shades lighter or darker if you choose to color your hair. Clearly, a lot of people don't heed that advice and thus the dark roots.

Think of Grace Kelly.. Would she have looked the same with 2 inches of dark roots showing? Somehow, I don't think so.

I think she'd have looked better with some contrast. I was never a fan of helmet hair. I don't think het hair looked so great or natural. 

ITA @ILTH .

The movie stars of the 30s 40s and 50s had very obvious processed, bleached blond hair. One dimensional in color. Sprayed into submission.

Nothing at all natural about them

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

ITA @ILTH .

The movie stars of the 30s 40s and 50s had very obvious processed, bleached blond hair. One dimensional in color. Sprayed into submission.

Yep. This is what I was saying above.  If you just dye your hair blonde, it's too flat and one dimensional so it's obviously dyed and looks terrible.

Let's face it, no matter what the color, if you alter the color of your hair in any way, people know.   

Honored Contributor

Here are some retro Clairol hair color ads from the early-to-mid-1960s. Each showed a mother with hair that matched her child's. Their theme was "Does she ... or doesn't she?... Hair color so natural only her hairdresser knows for sure!"

Things have changed! Lol.

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

ITA @ILTH .

@Ms tyrion2 

Roots or no roots I don't think any platinum blonde is convincing anyone it came out of her head that way nor is she trying to.

I don't find the roots to look 'natural' but I do think they're more realistic

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Here are some retro Clairol hair color ads from the early-to-mid-1960s. Each showed a mother with hair that matched her child's. Their theme was "Does she ... or doesn't she?... Hair color so natural only her hairdresser knows for sure!"

Things have changed! Lol.

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

@handygal2 

actually the darker shades are more realistic; you run into trouble when you go platinum!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo : Yes, platinum is tricky, especially when you're starting off with very dark hair. IMO, the only time it works is for a woman whose hair is mostly grey or white. If she feels that grey ages her, platinum is a good compromise. The grey roots growing in are barely noticeable.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I recently noticed a retail pic of a model dressed in a very badly wrinkled linen outfit, and she had dark roots.  My first impression was we are being encouraged to be lazy, unattractive women.  Sorry.  Not following that mess.  Reminds me of the push to stop wearing makeup.  Good grief.  Go away!! 

Trusted Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

I recently noticed a retail pic of a model dressed in a very badly wrinkled linen outfit, and she had dark roots.  My first impression was we are being encouraged to be lazy, unattractive women.  Sorry.  Not following that mess.  Reminds me of the push to stop wearing makeup.  Good grief.  Go away!! 

Well, I see it differently. And, until men are "encouraged" to wear makeup and called " lazy, unattractive" if they don't...

Also, that's the nature of linen. Some accept it, some don't. I do. Some wear makeup, some don't. I won't judge a person's attractiveness based on makeup and roots. I don't judge a person's work ethics  or character based on makeup and wrinkled linen.