Honored Contributor

Re: When did dark roots become a desired look?

@Leggett28 

No biggie! I wasn't going for a contentious thread. Just making an observation. I just think it's interesting how something that was once very taboo is now a trend if you will.

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo Thanks

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the look either, but it's not my hair, so no biggie.

Super Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

It occurred to me while watching the wig presentation that obvious roots are now okay?! And it seems it's been that way for a while now. Just wondering when the tide turned?

It doesn't seem so long ago that when a woman dyed her hair blond she was presenting the image of a natural blond and not wanting to look like a brunette who dyed her hair blond?!

In my opinion, I think darker roots give a more youthful look. The opposite of grey roots. I think in many cases it’s an attractive look. One solid color blond or otherwise is not as flattering as many different shades of color treated hair. It’s a more natural look. 

Respected Contributor

Dark roots are an optional trend.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Blondes with 2 inches of dark roots showing are not my idea of looking attractive. Natural blondes are a blend of blond, and brown mixed together with no obvious demarcation of "roots." There is a vast difference between the two.

Most hairdressers say not to go 2 shades lighter or darker if you choose to color your hair. Clearly, a lot of people don't heed that advice and thus the dark roots.

Think of Grace Kelly.. Would she have looked the same with 2 inches of dark roots showing? Somehow, I don't think so.

Trusted Contributor

My natural color is dark brown. I decided to go totally blond one day and realized total blond seemed to wash me out. I felt so much better after having low lights put in. They seemed to perk up my skin tone, and people stopped asking if I wasn't feeling well. LOLSmiley Happy    

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

I think about 20 years ago.....   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Roots have been "okay" for several years now.  This isn't really anything new.

Pretty much everyone knows when you dye your hair blonde if your hair is darker.  Highlights are obvious and if you do straight dye, it's too flat looking so that's also obvious.  I've never understood people trying to fool others into thinking their hair is natural.

My hair is highlighted blonde and yes I get roots because my natural color is light brown.  My hairdresser now does what is called shadow roots on me where she colors my roots darker so grow out doesn't look so drastic. However, that dark is blended down slightly so it's not an obvious line of black roots then blonde.  It is blended. 

Honored Contributor

And when is the beachy curls thing  going to die? Ugly, ugly ugly and EVERYONE has them.