Trusted Contributor

Re: When did dark roots become a desired look?

[ Edited ]

It started decades ago with the ombre look. Darker (not black) roots look natural on most blonds (not towheaded) because hair that's new (close to the scalp) is usually darker than grown-out hair that's been bleached by the sun. The same blond from tip to scalp looks artificial and flat. 

ETA

The opposite ombre that they did back then, too (darker toward the bottom), was done for effect and was not supposed to look natural. 

Respected Contributor

I

@Andreatoo wrote:

Lori and Kerstin are on together now. Lori is old school, blond all over, while Kerstin is sporting the more contemporary roots. I think age has something to do with it. the older woman isn't going to have dark brown roots they're going to be Gray so it would be additional color treatment

If you think Lori’s hair is old school ok

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

It occurred to me while watching the wig presentation that obvious roots are now okay?! And it seems it's been that way for a while now. Just wondering when the tide turned?

It doesn't seem so long ago that when a woman dyed her hair blond she was presenting the image of a natural blond and not wanting to look like a brunette who dyed her hair blond?!

@Andreatoo 

I hate that look! I’m pretty sure that someone must have commented on someone’s dark roots and they received a sarcastic reply about it being the new “in” look and people took it and ran with it. lol

I don’t care if the person is just late getting their hair done or if they paid big bucks to get the look...it looks universally bad. 

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

It isn't a look I like but it has been a trend for quite a while. They aren't roots anymore, they are low lights, don't ya know? LOL

No, low lights don’t look like that.

Respected Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

It occurred to me while watching the wig presentation that obvious roots are now okay?! And it seems it's been that way for a while now. Just wondering when the tide turned?

It doesn't seem so long ago that when a woman dyed her hair blond she was presenting the image of a natural blond and not wanting to look like a brunette who dyed her hair blond?!

@Andreatoo 

I hate that look! I’m pretty sure that someone must have commented on someone’s dark roots and they received a sarcastic reply about it being the new “in” look and people took it and ran with it. lol

I don’t care if the person is just late getting their hair done or if they paid big bucks to get the look...it looks universally bad. 

That’s your opinion 

Honored Contributor

Schwarzkopf calls the look "two-tone hair color". 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Leggett28 wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Andreatoo 

That’s your opinion 

@Leggett28 

Of course it is. That should be obvious. 

Honored Contributor

Dark roots have been around for decades now -  maybe in the 80's?

I like them -  many women who want to be blonde look washed out when hey go too blond.  I find the dark roots flattering on many women.

Not my personal issue -  I am totally gray undsr my color and that gray part is not pretty.  Don't know why it would ever be -  my gray is not pretty!

Super Contributor

Hello! It's 2019 & dark roots have been a trend for quite a while now. Love it. Who wants to keep up the maintentance?

Trusted Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Andreatoo 

I disagree.