Honored Contributor

Re: When did dark roots become a desired look?

@Janey2 wrote:

It’s a look that has been around for some time. Some like it, some don’t, like anything else. 

@Janey2 

Yes. I'm aware that it's a choice. Just wondering when it happened? It's become the norm I would say over the last 20 years but just curious exactly how it came about and perhaps with whom? It definitely works out for those that bleach their hair. Less trips to the salon every year

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Janey2 wrote:

It’s a look that has been around for some time. Some like it, some don’t, like anything else. 

@Janey2 

Yes. I'm aware that it's a choice. Just wondering when it happened? It's become the norm I would say over the last 20 years but just curious exactly how it came about and perhaps with whom? It definitely works out for those that bleach their hair. Less trips to the salon every year

I think my earliest remembrance of a celeb sporting this look, may have been Madonna?

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo The dark roots started back in the late 80's when they had a stylethatt they called "Shoe Shine " I kind of like it it makes it more realistic. But then again I haven't went the Blonde route.

Esteemed Contributor

The dark roots/blonde hair look had a very unflattering name some 20 yrs ago when Carrie Bradshaw in SATC made that part of her signature look.

I do like the updated balyage look but wouldn't do it now. Too much work to keep up.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think there is a definite difference between grown-out dark roots and intentional dark roots. Intentional dark roots require a bit of blending from darker to lighter and there's no stark line of demarcation between the two shades which makes it look bad. If the two-tone hair is done right then ousting the taboo works and in some cases it doesn't really look that bad, imo.

You got it. I’m 73 and have blonde hair I use Joan Rivers root cover.  JMO but I feel like when my hair hair is all one solid color it looks very dated. I feel it ages me.

Respected Contributor

@september Gray roots would also a realistic look. 

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99  That's the younger generation looks. I don't even think our thought are ever considered. Buying clothes in the store are a night mare for me. Fortunately we have Denim & Company.

Honored Contributor

Maybe they think if you buy a wig with black roots it won’t look like a wig....after all, who would walk around with black roots if they had a wig?
Respected Contributor

Remember the show Everybody Loves Raymond and his mom Marie had the solid blonde color that’s how I feel if I didn’t put the darker color in lol

Honored Contributor

Lori and Kerstin are on together now. Lori is old school, blond all over, while Kerstin is sporting the more contemporary roots. I think age has something to do with it. the older woman isn't going to have dark brown roots they're going to be Gray so it would be additional color treatment