Honored Contributor

When did dark roots become a desired look?

It occurred to me while watching the wig presentation that obvious roots are now okay?! And it seems it's been that way for a while now. Just wondering when the tide turned?

It doesn't seem so long ago that when a woman dyed her hair blond she was presenting the image of a natural blond and not wanting to look like a brunette who dyed her hair blond?!

Respected Contributor

Re: When did dark roots become a desired look?

It isn't a look I like but it has been a trend for quite a while. They aren't roots anymore, they are low lights, don't ya know? LOL

Honored Contributor

I don’t know but I don’t like them.

That’s the reason I don’t buy Toni Brattain wigs from QVC.  I only buy them directly from her company.  Those don’t have black roots.

I asked them why they are different and the salesperson at the website said that’s the way QVC wants them.

Honored Contributor

I can’t answer that question, but I’m waiting for gray roots to become a desired look!

Have my hair appointment in a few days....thankfully.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Am not a fan of black roots...I just don’t get it when I see celebrities wearing a $12k gown and black roots....smh

Respected Contributor

It’s a look that has been around for some time. Some like it, some don’t, like anything else. 

Honored Contributor

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. Why anyone would buy a blond wig with an inch of dark "roots" is beyond me. To me, a blonde with dark roots showing gives the impression that a visit to the colorist is overdue, and doesn't look well-groomed. JMHO. The "natural" look is definitely not in fashion anymore. I liked it better the old way, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I can’t answer that question, but I’m waiting for gray roots to become a desired look!

Have my hair appointment in a few days....thankfully.  

@september 

I was thinking the exact same thing! LOL wouldn't that be wonderful?

Honored Contributor

I think there is a definite difference between grown-out dark roots and intentional dark roots. Intentional dark roots require a bit of blending from darker to lighter and there's no stark line of demarcation between the two shades which makes it look bad. If the two-tone hair is done right then ousting the taboo works and in some cases it doesn't really look that bad, imo.

Honored Contributor

That's what my husband asked when he noticed the blond hosts. Back in the day, blond roots were not desirable.