Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When changing beauty brands...........

Do you finiish one brand before moving on?  Toss the old and on with the new?  Combine different brands and use up everything?     I have too many brands where I have almost their entire line from face wash to day cream, night cream, etc.  My stash is getting to be a problem.    Hate to toss good products.  Charities, etc. will not take anything that isn't sealed.

Respected Contributor

Re: When changing beauty brands...........

I don't buy into the "one brand" thing and just look for the products and ingredients that I know will work for me, no matter what the brand.

Respected Contributor

I just rotate. I do one regimen for a few weeks, then switch to another regimen.  I think your skin gets tired/bored of products after a while and you need to switch it up.  I don't toss anything good, just save it for later.  Nothing has gone bad on me.  Only oils tend to smell funny over a long time on the shelf but I try to use those up more quickly.  I find two to three weeks is a good time to go switch to something new.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Do you finiish one brand before moving on?  Toss the old and on with the new?  Combine different brands and use up everything?     I have too many brands where I have almost their entire line from face wash to day cream, night cream, etc.  My stash is getting to be a problem.    Hate to toss good products.  Charities, etc. will not take anything that isn't sealed.

@Daysdee I addressed this in a thread about Temptalia's organizational guide and how to be on a no buy or low buy diet. I was inspired by what she said, organizing my out of control stash was a long time coming. I got rid of a lot, it was overwhelming me. I have a mix of different brand products.

Honored Contributor

I use the old ones up on my neck and body. A bit larger area so they run out faster. Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

All good ideas and I thank you  very much.  I have been doing the rotation thing and using a brand for a month or maybe more and then rotating to another brand I already have.  Eventually I will run out of some and not replenish and hope to get to rotating among maybe 2 or 3 brands.  (I'm on a "no buy" right now.  QVC and HSN are too tempting.  )

Honored Contributor

I usually change brands only when the one I'm using isn't working out for me anymore for some reason. Once I find another brand, which does work for me, then the old one gets pitched. I don't save stuff that doesn't do it for me. I know that's very wasteful but that's life.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have yet to find a brand where every products works for me. I use items from several different brands. 

These are the brands I use now:

Balleck

Biologique Recherche

Isomers

Josie Maran

Silk Therapeutics

Skintifique

I don't do the same routine every day.  I only change products if I find something more effective.

ETA: Forgot to add  iLike brand.

Esteemed Contributor

I have super sensitive skin and a ton of allergies so I do a complete change over. What I do is put them all in a box and see if any of my friends want to try an of the sealed products. Toss the open ones. First: try the new line for 30 days and see if you get the desired results. If you do, they get rid of everything else. If the new lines dose not deliver the results then take time and sort through your stash of products. Think about what you like from each of them. Narrow it down to one per issue ( cleansing, lines & wrinkles, masks, moisturizing, etc.) I find this method to be less overwhelming. If you are still not happy with any of them, I would suggest that you research the lines that have 3 or 4 cor products for the entire face/neck area. Take the time to read the reviews and google the top 10 picks in the different areas. That will give you a check list to help you with your search. Hope this helps you. 

Honored Contributor

This stuff is expensive enough to deter me from throwing out much of anything.  I try new things one at a time.  Never in my life have I jumped an entire line at once.