Regular Contributor

Re: When You Buy Boxed Hair Color Do You Buy 2 Shades Lighter?

I'm a salon color kind of girl.  She uses the same shades, but mixes it up depending on my mood and time of the year.  Sometimes I'm a little lighter, sometime a little darker.   There are a lot of factors that will cause color to take differently, good luck in your search for the perfect summer hair!     

Honored Contributor

i go darker.....i have dark brown hair and usually go with black, black pearl, or blue black.......or sometimes a dark red shade.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Yes @cuddlesmama .  I use Revlon Colorsilk to cover the minimal gray in my hair.  I use a lighter color to achieve the color I need.  I use Light Golden Brown or even Lightest Golden Brown to achieve a rich warm brown color. 

If I used a medium brown, it would come out way too dark.

Wen 1.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I use to color my hair at home with Natural Instincts. I did find that my hair did come out darker than I liked. However when I went two shades of more lighter, I found it didn't cover the little gray I had and the color faded more quickly. I now get my hair colored at the salon.

That is exactly what is happening to me. Next stop is the salon.

I would like to know what those of you who have very dark natural hair do when covering gray?

I've tried on heavy frosted brown/blonde wigs to judge the color  but my yellow undertone skin does not look good with yellow/gold hair? I guess I will ask for a lighter brown solid rather than highlighted. Does that mean bleach my entire hair? Dread this.

Trusted Contributor

I color and highlight my hair with box color.  It looks great.  People think my base is my "real" color and I just add highlights.

No need to look down on a home job.  Not everyone with a license can do hair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Simply gorgeous hair, @San Antonio Gal  It looks like a great cute cut, too.

(Sorry for the typo.  I guess you knew I meant "cut.")

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama 

Natural Instincts reformulated and repackaged their hair color at the end of last year and rolled it out earlier this year. The new boxes are white and green. There are lots of complaints about the new formula on Clairol's facebook page. Coty, the parent company, bought Clairol from Proctor and Gamble a couple of years ago and reformulated and repackaged Nice n' Easy hair color too and ruined it. The new version is terrible.

I would suggest giving Clairol's hotline a call about your hair color to see what you can do to fix your hair color.

Valued Contributor

Anyone use 2 boxes fur long hair....

Honored Contributor

I’ve used L’Oreal Creme Excellence #6 for years. It turns out a little darker than the picture on the box, but fades to that color in 4-5 days. 

I’m pleased with how it looks. I have really short hair, like Jamie Lee Curtis short hair and am not going to pay expensive salon prices to color my hair. Sometimes I think I might like some highlights, but then I talk myself out of it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@cuddlesmama wrote:

Recently Ihave been reading that when you buy boxed haircolor  you should go 2 shades lighter than what the box says so you hair won't comeout too dark.

Do you think this is true? I have never done that I have been always buying the same color Natural Instincts #20 brown and this time it came out so dark. I don't know if the formula changed or what. Now I finally have it gone and now I am considering just going to a salon to  see what color they would use.. Which I have never done. Do  you thaink salon color looks better than boxed color? Thanks

Yes, without a doubt.

Yes, I agree -- salon color looks better than boxed color.  I wish it was the same.