Super Contributor

When Good Products Go Bad - The Sequel

I discovered this article buried in an email newsletter I received today which I thought might interest you. Make of it as you wish. The Beauty Police is now knocking on my door!

Is the insert link function not working? I can no longer seem to make it work for me!

Anyhoo, here is the link that you can paste to your browser:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/When-to-Toss-Out-Beauty-Products

Super Contributor

Re: When Good Products Go Bad - The Sequel

Thanks for posting! The following website is great for when you find items buried in the closet or under the sink and have no clue when you purchased: http://checkcosmetic.net

I do date everything now just to keep me honest. ;-) I've determined to work through my stash and by dating the items, it helps me determine which to pull next for that category.

Honored Contributor

I've had a few cosmetics smell rancid ..... a couple lipsticks, and the JM Argan Oil !! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

(Well, if it doesn't have any preservatives, it will definitely have a shorter shelf life!)

Respected Contributor

On 2/21/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

I've had a few cosmetics smell rancid ..... a couple lipsticks, and the JM Argan Oil !! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

(Well, if it doesn't have any preservatives, it will definitely have a shorter shelf life!)

Oils do not need a preservative. Preservatives are only needed if there is water in a formula. Oils do go rancid due to oxidation. Vitamin E, rosemary oleoresin, and to an extent grapefruit seed extract can slow down oxidation. If your oils are 100% oil you can add a drop of any of those to delay oxidation and hopefully that will extend the shelf life a bit.
How long did you have the oil? Argan should last 24 months from bottling. If it was a short time I'd fuss at the company.
Respected Contributor

I have read several articles about the shelf life of beauty products and for this reason try not to overbuy any beauty products that I use. A fresher product is always better in any type of beauty product. Even bath and body products have a shelf life but in most cases they have a longer shelf life than cosmetic products like mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow, etc.

Super Contributor

On 2/20/2015 susandee said:

Thanks for posting! The following website is great for when you find items buried in the closet or under the sink and have no clue when you purchased: http://checkcosmetic.net

I do date everything now just to keep me honest. ;-) I've determined to work through my stash and by dating the items, it helps me determine which to pull next for that category.

Thanks for the link! I will check it out.

Super Contributor

On 2/21/2015 BellaCarro said:

Oils do not need a preservative. Preservatives are only needed if there is water in a formula. Oils do go rancid due to oxidation. Vitamin E, rosemary oleoresin, and to an extent grapefruit seed extract can slow down oxidation. If your oils are 100% oil you can add a drop of any of those to delay oxidation and hopefully that will extend the shelf life a bit.
How long did you have the oil? Argan should last 24 months from bottling. If it was a short time I'd fuss at the company.

I have had my JM argan oil go rancid before the year was over. Hmmm. What was up with that?!

Respected Contributor

On 2/21/2015 Crisso said:

I have had my JM argan oil go rancid before the year was over. Hmmm. What was up with that?!

Yeah, that's one reason why I don't understand the "supersize" on that product. That and, really, only one oil for such a long period? There are so many others with great properties.
Super Contributor

On 2/21/2015 Crisso said:

Yeah, that's one reason why I don't understand the "supersize" on that product. That and, really, only one oil for such a long period? There are so many others with great properties.

Precisely. What would you recommend?