Honored Contributor

Re: When Good Lipsticks Go Bad

Tom Ford and Trish McEvoy lipsticks are known to go rancid very quickly and both companies are aware of it; it's been an issue for YEARS. Nordstrom is really good about exchanging/returning the product because of their great CS but other places; not so much. BB comes in a close third. I refuse to purchase lip products from any of them due to this.

There are WAY too many brands that are fantastic and don't have this problem to give TF, TM and BB your money. 

Honored Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:

I just had to toss a Tom Ford lipstick that was less than 6 months old, broke my heart, but it smelled really funky. I did a Google search, and it seems a lot of women think this high-end lippie goes rancid really fast. The brands that have gone nasty on me the fastest are Bobbi Brown, Korres, Lipstick Queen and Tarte. On the flip side, I've had some Clinique, Estee Lauder, Revlon, Elizabeth Arden and Lancome lipsticks for a few years, and they never seem to go bad on me. I toss them only because I suddenly realize I've had them since the year of the flood. 

@grammarqueen

Well, that's the down side of buying products with little to no preservatives in them.    You'll certainly be spending more money on things that spoil more quickly. 

I've never bought any of those highlighted above, but I thank you for the heads up.

Right now, I'm using a Rimmel lip color that is the absolute perfect shade for me .....  and costs $5 a pop at Walmart!    Hadn't thought about it, but something to be grateful for.  lol

Honored Contributor

@grammarqueen,I wear Clinique too and have never had any problem.  I've never had a problem with Loreal or Revlon either.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I recently bought a couple Rimmel lipsticks and I like them a lot. They are in a very light cream colored tube and I think they are part of the Kate collab. Anyway, they are really good. 

Frequent Contributor

I have to join the chorus here- call Customer Service. Tom Ford is owned by Estee Lauder and as a corporation they're pretty decent about standing by their products. The CS # on the TF website is 1-888-TOM-FORD.  The hours listed are MONDAY – FRIDAY 9:30 A.M. TO 6:00 P.M. EST. Good luck and please let us know how you make out after talking with them. For what they charge for a lipstick they should darn well stand behind them.

Valued Contributor

@BostonMom 59 wrote:

I have to join the chorus here- call Customer Service. Tom Ford is owned by Estee Lauder and as a corporation they're pretty decent about standing by their products. The CS # on the TF website is 1-888-TOM-FORD.  The hours listed are MONDAY – FRIDAY 9:30 A.M. TO 6:00 P.M. EST. Good luck and please let us know how you make out after talking with them. For what they charge for a lipstick they should darn well stand behind them.

Thanks for the number. I'll call Tuesday; Monday, tomorrow, they are probably closed like everyone else to observe New Year's Day.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Avon, Loreal - and now Rimmel. Loreal and Rimmel from Walmart.com - and Avon from Avon.com. Lasts forever -- and never goes bad. I have around 12 lipsticks at a time. I luv all those yummy colors and low prices.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had 2 IT Cosmetics lipsticks go rancid about 6 months after I bought them. Money down the drain as those are not inexpensive.

Honored Contributor

I had that lip /cheek stuff from Josie Maran that went bad in a very short amount of time. Going to go thru all that stuff and do a big trash dump this year. I'm sure there is alot that need to go.

Honored Contributor

I'm still using Urban Decay lipsticks from 5 years ago. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval