Honored Contributor

Re: Whats your favorite toner, and why?

I second Paula’s Choice. I use her Resist toner. It calms & soothes my skin in preparation for my serum & moisturizer. Yes, they are supposed to remove last traces of make-up, but I never have any on my cotton ball. That must mean my cleanser & Clarisonic remove everything!

You should also check out beautypedia.com to read why toners are an important step in your skincare routine.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@LeoGrlwrote:

Thayers Witch Hazel in Rose Petal in the alcohol-free.  It is soooo refreshing on your skin and it leaves a nice toned texture after using it.  It's a light rose smell --not heavy.  Thayers has other scents also in the alcohol-free like Lavender and Cucumber.  The cucumber is refreshing also but there's something about the rose one. 

@LeoGrl

I've stopped using toner, but when I was using toner I'd always reach for Thayers.  I liked the alcohol-free cucumber/aloe formula and I'd pour it into a bottle with a "mister" and spray it on my face.

I still have an old bottle and I just visited the Thayers site and was surprised to see that they've completely redesigned their packaging and they sell the toner as a mist now.  How funny! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

Yes !I use thayers rose petal [alcohol free] witch hazel as a toner. I love it . I have used the lavender and the cucumber . They are all good!

cathy from ma

Super Contributor

I have used the Proactiv glycolic toner for years and love it. Instead of using glycolic resurfacing pads the toner seems gentler but does improve the skin tone over time. It's not irritating at all and really prepares the skin for moisturizer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought that toners were old school. From what I have read from various sources, if you are using good skincare there is no need for a toner. It is just another way to spend your money unnecessarily. When removing my makeup, I first use a wipe then my cleanser. There isn't a trace of makeup left on my face.

Honored Contributor

@fthuntwrote:

I'm not a beauty expert - keep learning something more every day - - but I was taught by a real beauty expert when I was a teenage with teenage pimple face...... that TONER brought skin back in balance after cleansing - back in balance meaning back to a normal PH factor.... cleansing products change - eliminate.  And to remove any all soaps from your face.For decades I never miss my toner in the morning before makeup.  I'm sure someone else can explain it better.

@fthunt, this is true if one uses a cleansing product that changes your pH -- soaps tend to do that. But today, most facial cleansers are pH-balanced. Regardless, I like the feel of a good toner and the fact that it removes any possible traces of makeup.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin  Thayers Rose Petal toner is the BEST!    It's alcohol free and removes every bit of leftover makeup after cleansing.  Gentle on skin too.  Cat Happy  P.S.  There are other scents in for this toner too.  I buy mine at iherb.com

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

For hydration! Tried Tatcha essence, but now I'm using Missha Time Revolution, but also toners from Andalou.

Victoria Principal cleanser (which I use in the p.m.) is most thorough, so I never needed a toner after this. 

I just love the "toning step"! It has made a difference in the hydration of my skin (where I do not have to rely so heavily on creams.) 

Honored Contributor

Elemis Apricot Soothing Toner. Love it, it a spray toner, and its is a big bottle that lasts! I have always loved using a toner....Suzanne Somers made a nice toner as well, not sure where you can purchase her skin care line anymore though.

Respected Contributor

I liked one of the Paula's Chouce toners for dry or sensitive skin, I can't remember. It had the red band label. But now I've given up toners for a Korean Essence. I like Missha's Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence and Hanskin's Hyaluron Skin Essence. You can get both from sites like Soko Glam, but Target also has the Missha online and in some stores.

I knew toners balanced the skin, but I didn't often feel or see much difference. The Essences leave my skin feeling more hydrated immediately and prep my skin for my serums and moisturizers.