Respected Contributor

Whatever Happened to Ojon, Anyone Know?

I was a long-time Ojon customer when Dennis was on QVC, then he sold the company to Estée Lauder.  Even though they changed the formula, I still bought it as the changes were not drastic on me.

My shampoo supply recently ran out and what a shock when I went to reorder.  Ojon is at Amazon and eBay at literally hundreds of dollars per bottle, and is no longer at Macy’s or my local outlet mall.

Does anyone know what happened?  Did Estée Lauder stop selling the products?  The super high prices tell me that they did, and a few individual sellers have stocked up and are trying to make money selling it at high prices, but I can’t find anything on the web that explains what happened.

Thanks in advance; there is always a very knowledgeable poster that has the scoop, so of course I had to check here first. ;-)

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

Re: Whatever Happened to Ojon, Anyone Know?

@Topaz Gem wrote:

I was a long-time Ojon customer when Dennis was on QVC, then he sold the company to Estée Lauder.  Even though they changed the formula, I still bought it as the changes were not drastic on me.

My shampoo supply recently ran out and what a shock when I went to reorder.  Ojon is at Amazon and eBay at literally hundreds of dollars per bottle, and is no longer at Macy’s or my local outlet mall.

Does anyone know what happened?  Did Estée Lauder stop selling the products?  The super high prices tell me that they did, and a few individual sellers have stocked up and are trying to make money selling it at high prices, but I can’t find anything on the web that explains what happened.

Thanks in advance; there is always a very knowledgeable poster that has the scoop, so of course I had to check here first. ;-)

The guy who represented ojon (dennis) is on hsn selling a product called tweeked. It looks like ojon to me i have used (and still have) some of his ojon oil in the jar. Love that stuff. Tweeked has a similiar look, but haven't  ordered so only going by whst dennis said.

Respected Contributor

@Topaz Gem I have tried some of the Tweak'd products from HSN and didn't like them. I did order from HSN the Tweak'd Restore Hair and Body (626816). Ii smells almost as good as the original Ojon Restorative and works great. A few years ago, I ordered the original Ojon Restorative Treatment from Ebay and paid $60.00 for it. I still have it.

QVC is now selling the same product as HSN but has added a shampoo and conditioner, for the same price, item #A352115. The Dhatelo Conditioner in this kit, I found that it had an awful smell but that could just be me. I returned it to HSN. I recently ordered this set from QVC, to have another treatment oil just in case. That's how much I like the product, especially the smell. It's lighter than the original Ojon but just about there. It will give away the other two products. 

Explanation as to what happened, Estes Lauder dumbed down all of the ojon products. Origins was selling the Ojon Leave In Conditioning Mist at one point and I bought 6 of them it that was 2-3 years ago. That stopped also. When these big companies buy out the little companies, I have found that most of the time the products are ruined.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

@Topaz Gem  Estée Lauder owns Origins and for awhile Ojon was available at their stores and site. Not any longer. I have purchased the tweak’d spray and it does not disappoint. The fragrance is similar to Ojon and great on 2nd day hair. I haven’t tried the other products since I’m satisfied w/ what I use, but may order them one day.

Honored Contributor

I got into Ojon late in the game, so I never tried the original stuff.  I loved the Tawaka which was a limited run the best, and I tried some of the other products and liked them before the line was sold to Estee Lauder.  

I tried the Tweak'd when Dennis first appeared on HSN and didn't care for it.  It was a product you put in your dry hair before getting in the shower and then you were supposed to add more after you got your hair wet.  I still use some of it occasionally in my dry hair before I go to the gym and then just wash it out with my shower without adding more.  I recently decided to try the restore since Dennis was saying it contained the original Ojon oil.  That surprised me since I would have expected the name to be proprietary to EL.  Maybe that's why he can now use that term.  Ojon is not the actual name of the plant.  I haven't used it much, but I think I like it.  I'm not familiar with the spray @Shanus mentioned.

Respected Contributor

Denis has since expanded the Tweak'd line from when he first started on HSN. I am not a fan of his cleansing conditoners but I do like his regular shampoos and conditoners. He also was on QVC a few weeks ago with a shampoo, conditoner, and conditioning treatment. The treatment looks like an exact dupe for Ojon.

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor, in the presentation I saw he referred to it as the original Ojon oil with other addititives.  Mostly it is all natural, but there are some allergans listed which are not in the ingredient list which confuses me.  Maybe if EL has discontinued the line he can reintroduce more products similar to his old line.  Hopefully, he'll stay away from sulfates and silicones since I try to follow the curly girl method.

Esteemed Contributor

It was at Ulta at some point too.  Sad to see so many brands just up and die.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Coquille, thanks for posting that item number; I put it right in my Wish List.  I had no idea that Dennis came back to QVC.  I’ve been watching him on HSN with Tweak’d and have ordered it a few times.  I do like it, but still miss Ojon.  I think I will give the Restorative kit a try.  It does sort of resemble one of the former Ojon kits that he used to sell.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

I always loved the Ojon shampoo!!!  Several years ago it was clearance priced at Ulta and I bought 3.  It is on Amazon but outrageously priced.  I've tried other brands but nothing comes close.