Honored Contributor

Re: What would you discontinue?

There's a lot of products that work for people who have different issues than I do.  I really can't say.

Respected Contributor

Discontinue the poor quality   packaging of  cosmetics that is shoddy, and too cheap. Caps that crack, won`t open, lettering that flakes off in normal  use  are a few that irriate and come to mind.  The inside product may be fine?

Tubes that are too hard to squeeze and one can`t get all the product out without cutting it open. Tubes that break open.  Have a JM tube of shower cream I am squeezing out from the the sealed end not through the cap.  Just annoying, period. 

Discontinue the shoddy packaging of cosmetics if packaging is a product made to put another inside?

Respected Contributor

I think cosmetic companies do enough discontinuing on their own. I find things I like that took years to find, then it's not long and it's off the shelf. So I don't think I would discontinue anything. Someone out there probably likes it.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

This is a great example of why we shouldn't discontinue things. You may think I am crazy, but I like the smell of the Coty face powder. Smell is our strongest sense and I actually love the scent. I wish Coty would leave some other things alone also, but they won't. 

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I would discontinue nude lips and brown bronzers.  Please ladies, add some color to your faces!  You look dead. (my apologies to Doris Dalton)

Also, I'd discontinue anything sparkly or "luminous" -- tired of seeing women, on TV or in person, with glitter on their faces.

(sorry, I'm an old fuddy-duddy)

You must be the sister I never had!

I so agree with NO nude lips and bronzers!  Use pinky blush on your cheeks - brown looks bad.  You DO need color on your lips - lights up your whole face.  Would be my desert island product - lipstick.

Sparkle even looks bad on 16 year olds.  Shimmer can be pretty.

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

I think most of us would love to discontinue fragrance in skin care.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Drug store cheap makeup and lipstick.

Drug store makeup and lipstick is made by the same companies that make the high end and many times the formulas are identical to the high end ones. Some are even better. 

You are really hung up on thinking that high end products are some how superior. That couldn't be further from the truth and many times you can get better skin care at the drug store over the department store. 

@Irshgrl31201

True.

I remember reading an article about this in Allure waaay back in the mid-90's (before it basically became a 300-page advert for products).  It was an exposé about just that...all lipsticks being manufactured in the same plant (in NJ, if memory serves me).  

I was in my mid-30s w/ no financial commitments & a hefty disposable income, so shopping for makeup & skincare exclusively at the Neiman's makeup counter became a weekly event.  

Then I read that article.  

#LifeChanger  

As expected, I realized I was shopping just for the experience.  All that money for a crazy tube of lipstick in a cool container.  SMH!  I saved SO much $$ purchasing my needed items at less expensive venues.  I began taking pride in my fat bank account.  

Ahhhh, if I knew then what I know now....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono

@hellokitty

I thought it was a weird question at first, but I agree with these ladies. The fragrances in skincare are not needed. I am very sensitive to most scents and my asthma flares up when exposed to them. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@lolakimono

@hellokitty

I thought it was a weird question at first, but I agree with these ladies. The fragrances in skincare are not needed. I am very sensitive to most scents and my asthma flares up when exposed to them. 

@wilma, yes, and I agree about fragrances, but the original question was about products, not ingredients. So good for us for switching gears. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland