Occasional Visitor

What works on relieving Xerosis?

My child has xerosis, which is a condition of rough dry skin with fine scaling. It also causes these fine cracks in his skin. Nooooo moisturizer is working to combat this. I feel like organic products are just as good, if not better than, drugstore moisturizers. What do you know to be a good organic balm?

Honored Contributor

Re: What works on relieving Xerosis?

Any ideas or tips, @SilleeMee?

Honored Contributor

I'd think your first step would be to consult with a dermatologist.  Surely there is some course of treatment for such a condition? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Take her to the doctor.  She may need a special lotion, etc.  I never heard of what you are talking about but a dr. needs to look at it.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd think your first step would be to consult with a dermatologist.  Surely there is some course of treatment for such a condition? 

@Kachina624 Bingo!!!!

Honored Contributor

This thread should be in Wellness.  We have a medical issue not a beauty problem. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Any ideas or tips, @SilleeMee?

No, @feline groovy, I don't and here's why. I don't mean to be disrespectful of the OP but it seems to me that several threads involving skin dryness issues have been started in the past week or so by "new" posters here on the BB. To me it appears that there is some kind of mining going on and I'd rather not participate.

Honored Contributor

Try otc cortisone.   

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I'd be wary of using cortisone without a doctor's instructions. It can cause thinning of the skin with repeated use.

I agree with all here who suggest that this is a medical problem and also that these threads are becoming suspect.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'd be wary of using cortisone without a doctor's instructions. It can cause thinning of the skin with repeated use.

I agree with all here who suggest that this is a medical problem and also that these threads are becoming suspect.

An OTC low-dose cortisone is often what Derms prescriber for a few days to get the dermatitis under control.   Of course one would consult with the dr. 

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/cortizone-for-kids.html

Topicort is high dose and not used for long even in adults.  Cortaid for children would not be one to cause skin atrophy if used for a short-term trial.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"