Regular Contributor

Re: What words or phrases do you get sooo sick of hearing? ""Busy Mom""

I work in a hospital. So when I have to have a patient initial in only two places this is what i hear -"signing my life away." Really? I want to say to them you just initialed in two places. It literally took two minutes. Signing your life away happens when you buy a fr@@ken house! Oh. And since I work in a hospital I also get this-i will call the patient up to me to get information and to be nice and make conversation I will ask how they are doing. This is what I get. If I was fine I wouldn't be here. You know what? That's not funny at all. I have been told off at least 20 times that day, every day, that its just not cute. I can think of at least ten more but I don't want to carry on!
Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 cerb said:

Susan Graver - "It's all about..." "It's all about building wardrobes", "It's all about the fabric", "It's all about the fit", "It's all about smoke and mirrors", "It's all about the color", "It's all about the print", "It's all about the embellishments". In addition (as BevG previously stated), "You can run over to a sink and spot clean with a little soap and water", "This is the piece you will wear over and over", as well as "I'm known in the business as Dotty Graver", "I started in the business as a pants designer", and the ever popular "I'm in liquid knit heaven." Not to mention how she used to design for stores like Bloomingdales and Nordstrom's, but QVC stole her away. Same thing show after show after show.

And we REALLY don't need to hear any more about how the Sleeping Beauty mine is closed, as a pressure tactic to make us snap up turquoise jewelry. There are other places in the world where similar looking good quality turquoise is mined.

you forgot :"it's all about layering"......and it's "trouser designer!"
" this is women all over Paris and London are wearing"

Valued Contributor

What about "grab"?? I just don't like that word and I hear it on TV as well as in public. "let me grab your paperwork" or "I'll just grab your check and be right back". On QVC it's "grab this".

I really got a kick out of reading these responses and they did make me laugh {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I don't mind terribly if someone says "over and over" but I don't like to hear "over and over and over". We got it, ok???

Trusted Contributor

I hate being called "gals". Gals is a term from the days before we could vote, when we were property. I absolutely hate it gals!

Frequent Contributor

I am a single-mother which translates into feel badly for me or cut me some slack at work or backfill for me when my kid gets sick.

I was single for many years and coworkers always thought I should be the one to stay late or work holidays because I didn't have children.

One boss told me that I should feel lucky not to have family and I told her I DO HAVE A FAMILY, just not children.

Great discussion! My pet peeve, being a westerner, is the tendency to talk about east coast places like we all can relate... Madison Avenue, the Hamptons, etc. I also would like to hear about some really fascinating places people go... Enough of the theme park references. Best. Liz... A busy retired professional!
Contributor

Take something ""to the next level.""

Honored Contributor

I agree the phrase ""Busy Mom"" is overused.

Why do people use the term ""busy"" as some kind of a badge of honor?

Everyone has responsibilities...everyone has times when they are overbooked and feel overwhelmed.

Valued Contributor

On 9/2/2014 brii said:

Red Carpet Ready

I have never been on a red carpet and probably won't ever be on a red carpet. LOL

Honored Contributor

A shirt can't just be "white," it also has to be "crisp."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986