Super Contributor

What will really soften my feet?

I used the Microplane foot file to shuck my feet. They were really dry and crusty. The Microplane foot file did an amazing job to reveal fresh, smooth, pink skin. But my feet still aren't particularly soft. What can I apply to really soften them? What works? PS...I know you'll suggest to apply something, then wear socks at night, but I can't sleep in socks so I end up kicking them off after a little while.
Honored Contributor

Re: What will really soften my feet?

[ Edited ]

The podiatrist told me that calluses on the feet occur because you need your step corrected. When you are putting your weight down on a part of the foot that is not intended to have weight on it a callus must form there to protect the area. The skin in the areas of the foot intended to be stepped down upon is very thick and can take the abuse of carrying your weight but with changes over the years your step may cause you to be putting weight somewhere it should not be so a callus forms and the only way to get rid of that callus is to have the step corrected.

I have one foot that required surgical correction due to severe arthritis and that foot is smooth as a baby's bottom despite that I don't do anything to soften it. My other foot still has the arthritis and I pronate terribly on that foot and it has bad calluses, despite that I wear an orthotic in my shoe every day.

Honored Contributor

I use Gold Bond foot cream. 

Super Contributor

The issue is mostly my heels, which is where my step should fall. The skin (whether hard or soft) has no impact on the way I walk, or I believe, vice versa. I simply neglect my feet, and never wear socks, even in the winter. I hate the feeling of socks on my feet. So my feet are constantly exposed to the elements, both indoors and outdoors.
Respected Contributor

Josie's Argan Balm - I put it on my feet and they are so soft in the morning.  I have really sharp edges on certain toes after surgery on my foot which get really painful.  It really softens that area.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best foot cream on the planet!

ALPHA HYDROX FOOT CREAM ... around $10 most places.

41vAdaHTGDL._SY355_.jpg

Believe me when I say I know hard, dry skin...I have scleroderma and this stuff works! 

20%-off coupon at retailmenot for dermstore!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

You're right, vaseline and sox. It's the weekend, if you're going to be home, wear them for 8 hours.

Trusted Contributor

Exactly what @qualitygalsaid!  

First try and Emjoi for feet to get the loose dry skin off.  Then put Vaseline (for nearly half price you can get Wal-Mart’s Equate brand in the baby section) all over your feet the put on cotton socks.  If you can’t wear them at night, wear them during the day on a day you will be home all day.  If you want soft feet, that is the way to get them.  Do it once a week until they are soft and then you can go to once every other week, or longer.  Once they start to get icky again, just set aside a day to do it.  It is inexpensive, it is easy and it works!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

One that is podiatrist recommended is Kerasal Foot Therapy.  You can get it at WM, Rite Aid, or Walgreens.  But you need to wear socks for a few hours after you put it on your heels.

Another one is from BBW called True Blue Glycolic Acid Cracked Heel Treatment. 

You still need to put on socks for a while.