Trusted Contributor

Re: What soap do you use to wash your cosmetic brushes?

Whichever shampoo I happen to grab out of the shower.

Valued Contributor

Use Philosophy purity or whatever facial cleanser I'm using at the time.

Respected Contributor

I mix 1/2 cup blue Dawn liquid and 1/2 cup white vinegar together.  Or, if I have some shampoo I don't like, will use that.  

I bought one of the below soap savers at the dollar store.  I set it in the bottom of the sink and swirl my wet brush that has a generous amount of Dawn/vinegar mixture on it.  It scrubs the makeup brush gently and thoroughly and leaves my brush super clean.

I then hang all my brushes up to dry with the brush hanging down to air dry.  

I've seen a silicone makeup brush pad, but it's overpriced.  The soap saver below does the same thing and is super cheap ($1).  

Esteemed Contributor

I use inexpensive shampoo.  It cleans throughly and leaves the brush hair feeling very soft.  

Contributor

I don't use anything fancy or expensive. I use dish soap and let the brushes soak over night. Works great! 

Valued Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

If my brushes are only used by me and only have my germs on them why do I need to clean them every few weeks? I'm just not that much of a germaphobe. Woman Happy

Well I wash my foundation brush every day. Any brush used to apply creamy or liquid makeup is going to work horribly on about use 3 if not washed. The bristles start sticking together and gumming up, application would not be even etc. I agree dry brushes don't need to be washed all that often but I try to do it once a month if I think of it. My foundation brush though is daily. My concealer brush I wash about every 3 days.

Trusted Contributor

Dr. Bonner's liquid soap.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually use hand soap about every two weeks.  Sometimes I'll use body wash or shampoo. My brushes have held up fine over the years. Cetaphil probably won't get all the makeup residue off your brushes since it's such a gentle cleanser. 

Trusted Contributor

@ctinaw wrote:

Well I wash my foundation brush every day. Any brush used to apply creamy or liquid makeup is going to work horribly on about use 3 if not washed. The bristles start sticking together and gumming up, application would not be even etc. I agree dry brushes don't need to be washed all that often but I try to do it once a month if I think of it. My foundation brush though is daily. My concealer brush I wash about every 3 days.

I totally agree about liquid foundation brushes, they really need to be cleaned daily or they don't work well.  I don't like the idea of getting my expensive foundation brushes soaking wet every day so what I've found works really well is to spray the ends with a few spritzes of make up brush cleaner (Sephora Citrus, Clinique or It Cosmetics all work well) and then wipe it off using an unscented baby wipe.

Super Contributor

I use IT Cosmetics brush cleanser "Brush Love". It is wonderful and gentle. I use it a few times a week it's a great product.