Respected Contributor

What should I should I look for in a peel?

I've never used a peel. I'm looking for a peel that lifts dark spots from past blemishes, and over all clearer pores and skin. My derm offers peels, but I don't want any down time, or expense. So I see many peels out there..some have to be left on for over 25 mins., some do it in 3 mins. I 'll be honest, 25 mins is not something I would bother with. I really don't know the difference between a peel, and say, something like a pumpkin mask. But im looking for a peel that lifts old blemish marks, or dark spots, and whatever else it's supposed to do. Can any of you help me on this, and care to explain why peels are different...maybe better?? I use a chemical/physical scrub polish from Consult Beaute...why would a peel be different? Thanks very much!
Trusted Contributor

Re: What should I should I look for in a peel?

You might want to take a look at the ones available from Makeup Artist's Choice. They explain the different peels, what issues they help with, and what skin type each is suited for. I haven't tried any of their products yet, but there's a few items I'm considering. They're Leaping Bunny approved too.

Honored Contributor

There are different types of peels, one being acid peels with various acids, such as Glycolic, and ones that are enzymatic and usually contain papaya, pineapple, as the active enzymes. I usually alternate between these two types.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:
I've never used a peel. I'm looking for a peel that lifts dark spots from past blemishes, and over all clearer pores and skin. My derm offers peels, but I don't want any down time, or expense. So I see many peels out there..some have to be left on for over 25 mins., some do it in 3 mins. I 'll be honest, 25 mins is not something I would bother with. I really don't know the difference between a peel, and say, something like a pumpkin mask. But im looking for a peel that lifts old blemish marks, or dark spots, and whatever else it's supposed to do. Can any of you help me on this, and care to explain why peels are different...maybe better?? I use a chemical/physical scrub polish from Consult Beaute...why would a peel be different? Thanks very much!

IMO, a chemical peel is stronger than products used on a more regular basis.  Depending on one's skin, a peel could be a weekly, every other week, or monthly type thing.  Since you are new to them, I'd do research first and make sure you don't get anything too stong, to start with, if it hasn any peeling acids in it.  I also would not use your Consult Beauty scrub on the same day you do your peel.  You can do some research on lightening peels, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's a once and done type thing.  There are also products that you can use on a daily basis that will lighten your hyperpigmentation.  Hydroquinone is a popular one, but it is more of a skin bleach and shouldn't be used indefinitely.  It's actually a banned ingredient in Europe.  Kojic Acid is a good skin lightener and is usually combined with glycolic or lactic acid when in a peel so you're getting both the lightening and the improvement to surface texture, but Kojic Acid can also be an ingredient in daily product such as a serum.  Arbutin is another lightening ingredient.  I like to take a little scoop of crushed pearl powder and mix it in my serum for daily use but it can also be made into a mask as well.  Crushed pearl powder has a history of being used in oriental health and skincare.  Again, it's not going to provide overnight results, but with consistency my experience has been lightening to hyperpigmentation, better clarity, and a more even skintone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Physical peels, like microdermabrasion, are better for treating scars, wrinkles and stretch marks.  Whereas chemical peels are effective for both smoothing and brightening. AHAs are water-soluble and are best used for surface exfoliation of dead skin and are most effective on dark spots. BHA s are oil-soluble and are used to go deeper to clean out pores. I use both BHA and AHA, alternate the two...2% BHA and 20% glycolic acid every other day/night of use.

Respected Contributor

Alot of good info here...I thank you all!
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch Can you tell me where you get crushed pearl powder. I had ordered some Mother Of Pearl Powder a few years ago & I have been mixing it with microdermabrasion crystals.

I am about out & can no longer where I got it from before. 

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch Can you tell me where you get crushed pearl powder. I had ordered some Mother Of Pearl Powder a few years ago & I have been mixing it with microdermabrasion crystals.

I am about out & can no longer where I got it from before. 

@Dusty1  I get it on Amazon, a very generous amount for under $10.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you. I will see if I can find it.

I don't know if it does anything for me, or not, but I do like to use it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I cannot recommend a peel, but I can recommend green tea. Since I've been splashing on green tea as a toner, my residual marks from long-ago breakouts have disappeared!  And in that regard, I have nothing more to conceal!

The moisturizer I am using now also has green tea. Green tea toner benefits can be amped up w/ a carrier oil. (I don't have any on hand now, but camellia oil (made from green tea) would be perfect! (I'm off to Garden of Wisdom.)

I think Tatcha has green tea in their products.

If you are resurfacing your skin texture, then other peel things like the others are talking about would be beneficial. I am only suggesting evening the tone of your skin.