Honored Contributor

Re: What shampoo and/or conditioner made a big difference in your color treated hair?

[ Edited ]

Paul Mitchell - my hair is naturally gray now

IMG_1295.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: What shampoo and/or conditioner made a big difference in your color treated hair?

All the Suave shampoo and conditioners are great

have posted b4 about the Suave Clarifying shampoo

and if you have grey or white the Jhirmack shampoo

I also use Trader Joes coconut serum for blowouts

Honored Contributor

@MG Chris @Shanus , about the Olaplex.  Yes, it is a bond builder, not a conditioner.  However, Olaplex has expanded their line to shampoos, conditioners, styling products, etc. and while each of those products MAY contain the bond building ingredient, they almost all also contain silicones which coat the hair, keeping moisture from entereing, and many need a sulfate shampoo to wash out, thus the build-up causing dry hair.  

I think the entire product line may be over-hyped, and it's also not clear to the consumer what the main products are supposed to do, thus the confusion about it being a conditioner.  They do have a conditioner in their lineup but, as I said, it contains silicones.

However, I can vouch for it's effectiveness as a bond builder.  I both color and perm my fine hair, so you can imagine the chemical damage.  I was floored once I started using 1 &2 when I colored my hair the 1st time after a perm.  Now, 1 & 2 are considered for professional use, so not as easy to come by, but I use professonal color and I can get small packets of it where I get my color.  That way it's not so expensive, and since I have short hair I can use only half of each for each color.  

They also have 0 & 3 which are also treatment products which are meant to be used once a week.  3 is the take-home product hairdressers were to send home with their clients to maintain the process.  And then they added 0, which is a mask.  

I have since added K18 into my routine and used it instead when I did my last color and I am more than pleased.  Besides the mask you can find anywhere, they also have a professional pre-color product. 

Olaplex & K18 are both bond builders, but they operate differently.  If you imagine your hair shaft as a ladder, one repairs the rungs and the other repairs the part that holds the rungs together.  

Personally, I think those 2 product systems have made the biggest difference in my hair health.  Sorry to be so long-winded

Occasional Contributor

This is a hard question to answer not knowing what type of hair you have. What works for others may not work for you. I recommend watching the Blowout Professor on YouTube. Chris is not sponsored and he educates on exactly what you need for your hair type and issues. Shampoo and conditioner are only a part of what you need to have healthy hair. I think you will find what you need after watching. Good luck !

Super Contributor

Pureology ( the purple bottles)

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lavender Mint formula 

Amika Soul Food Mask weekly 

Valued Contributor

I have found that Nexus is the best brand for me. Makes my hair (straight, grey, Punky-tinted) hair shiny and soft. And it has a nice inoffensive scent.

Cheers!

Honored Contributor

If you use a curling iron or wash and dry several times a week, you may want to use a hot oil treatment.

My hair is double processed.  I use Kendra Styling Lotion; it's a leave in cream on washed, conditioned hair, totally ungreasy.

My shampoo and rinse out conditioner are 

Bain De Terri

bdt sweet almond oil33z

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glorimar 

I put about half the effort into my hair care products as I do my skin care and makeup. But I've been using Moroccan oil shampoo for color treated hair and it makes my hair so super silky. I also use the leave-in conditioner. Don't know that it does anything for my color treated hair or not but it's a good leave-in conditioner and I adore the fragrance. My hair is in good shape so I guess I really don't have anything to complain about.

ETA.. I forgot to mention that it is holding my color longer than the John Frieda brunette colored shampoo that I used to use.

Frequent Contributor

It's hard to give you any recommendations since you did not say what type of hair you have. I have thin wavy hair and recently bought Nexxus Ultralight Smooth Shampoo and conditioner. I love it so far. It makes my hair smooth and shiny which is the look I prefer. It is supposed to fight frizz which is a big issue for me when the humidity is high, but the jury is still out on that since the humidity is very low right now.

Respected Contributor

@Glorimar ...Oribe is beyond phenomenal (smell is fresh and wonderful),  and Keratase is  great too.  Both leave my hair soft as ever, never need a detangler,  and shine is unbeatable.   My hair looks so healthy and smooth, like young hair, lol.   A very little of Oribe goes a long way...its expensive,  and I really don't approve of the prices...but nothing comes close to how shiny and healthy my hair looks.  Keratase is a bit more reasonable and it also is fantastic.  Super great shine with color protection conditioner too.