Regular Contributor

What's your technique for doing a deep conditioning hair treatment?

[ Edited ]

I have never done one at home. I know I can Google and I have been doing that but I would like to hear from you guys.

I bought the Shae Moisture manuka honey & mafura oil mask.  Actually after doing some more reading, I think I might have bought the wrong one. It may be too hydrating and weigh it down because my hair is very fine. But I am still looking forward to trying it. 

So how do you like to do yours? 

Honored Contributor

Re: What's your technique for doing a deep conditioning hair treatment?

I've got fairly thin, black (Asian) hair and usually deep conditioners weigh it down so I don't use them. What I like are glazes. I use Sebastian Clear Cellophane about once a month and this makes my hair shine and gives it weightless body. This cellophane treatment is done after shampooing while hair is damp. They recommend using a heated cap or bonnet for 15 minutes for best results but you can leave it on for an hour or more without the heat to achieve the same results. I have left it on over night with a shower cap, too. The Sebastian cellophane comes in colors for brunettes, reds and blonds but requires wearing gloves because of the tint. My hair is long, down to my bra strap in the back and one tube of the $17 Sebastian will give me several months of treatments. Amazon, Wmart  and Jet are some of the places that sell this.

Respected Contributor

I put coconut oil (Costco) on and comb through. I either leave it in overnight or I put a conditioning cap on for a few hours. Years ago, I used argon oil.  Either one is good but I think the coconut oil is better. Good luck.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dreamchaser

WEN Re- Moist Hydrating Hair Mask!

I have thick, fine hair.  This product gives me moisture w/o weight.

Love it! Heart

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

What's the best brand of heated cap to get? I'm not familiar with these. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've got very long, dry, parched hair. I use Shea Moisture coconut oil. I usually put it on my hair, tie it up, and leave it on overnight. Been doing this for about a month and the last time I went to get my roots colored, my colorist asked me what I'd been doing because my hair was so much better. I can't use argan oil because it turns blonde hair yellow. I never knew that, but it is true, so now I use coconut oil. I've never used a mask, but do like the Shea Moisture products that I've tried.

Regular Contributor

@nycgrl - wow, sounds like you got some very nice results! My hair is long and dry too.  Not quite as long anymore because I got 5 inches cut off but still well past my shoulders. This will be my first time trying Shae Moisture products. I love the ingredients in them. I also bought some shampoo and conditioner to try! Smiley Happy 

The next time I buy again, I will have to check out the Shae Moisture Coconut oil product   because I love coconut oil. 

Honored Contributor

For deep conditioning I look for moisture and protein at the drugstore. If one product doesn't have it, I mix 2 together. 

I apply to clean, towel dried hair. Cover w/ thin (hotel type) shower cap and heat w/ blow dryer for several minutes. After 15-20 min. rinse thoroughly.

Sometimes I shower/shampoo an hour before bed. Put in conditioner and let it air dry. With a hand towel inside an old pillowcase, I sleep w/ it in over night, rinse out in the morning. 

My goal is to deep condition twice a week. The more moisture in my hair, the better it curls and less frizz.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus - Oh I hope I get those kind of results too! That's exactly what I need, better curl and less frizz. 

Sorry for sounding stupid but, do you just hold the blow dryer over the cap? And that gets it dry? 

Respected Contributor

I have dry, thin, frizzy shoulder length hair. I've been using coconut milk for about a month with good results. I comb it through my hair, tie it up and leave it over night. It gives my hair moisture. After shampooing and blow drying, my hair comes out shiny and smooth with body.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran