Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite natural sunscreen for the face? I need it to be very moisturizing!

Andrew Lessman's

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's your favorite natural sunscreen for the face? I need it to be very moisturizing!

ive never heard that mineral sunscreens are not as good. in fact, most everything i have seen says they are better. i usually have very bad reactions to chemical sunscrenns, so i stay away from them and use mineral based sunscreens. Elta MD is oustanding and is highly recommended by dermatologists.

Respected Contributor

I have been using Neutrogena broad spectrum spf 55
Clear face. I have oily acne prone skin. I really like it.
Honored Contributor

@Dreamchaser  Consider a tinted moisturizer with SPF.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Dreamchaser By natural, do you mean mineral based?

Yes, mineral based, thanks. I edited my question. 

Regular Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

ive never heard that mineral sunscreens are not as good. in fact, most everything i have seen says they are better. i usually have very bad reactions to chemical sunscrenns, so i stay away from them and use mineral based sunscreens. Elta MD is oustanding and is highly recommended by dermatologists.

I have done a lot of research and I definitely agree! Thanks for the recommendation. 

Regular Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Dreamchaser  Consider a tinted moisturizer with SPF.

I will thanks. What brand do you like?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I think it was last year that there was a news segment about sunscreens. There was also a dermatologist who appeared on the Dr. Oz show. Both programs discussed sunscreen and mentioned the recent studies which indicated chemical sunscreen was better at protecting the skin from UV damage. The derm on the Dr.Oz show even came right out and said that. Also mentioned in both programs was the fact that most people do not apply sunscreens correctly and don't apply enough. 

ETA -

I realize that there are reasons for concern regarding the use of chemical sunscreens, not to mention the skin discomfort some people experience while using them. Some chemical sunscreens are currently being evaluated for their safety and because of the data so far uncovered, the industry is changing. In the future some of the chemicals used today may be eliminated altogether and then replaced with other chemicals which may be considered better and less offensive ecologically as well as a better, healthy product. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite mineral based sunscreen for the face? I need it to be very moisturizing!

Josie's SPF 47 nontinted. I try others and always end coming back to this one. Waiting for her to offer the mega size in this. I don't like the tinted that she is offering currently.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Dreamchaser    If you could see my carved up face right now after the removal of a basal cell carcinoma, you'd forget about 'natural' sunscreens and make a run for the real thing.  I've had one surgery and have to return to the cancer cancer next week to finish the skin graft portion.  Then a long period of healing and hopefully not too much scarring.

@Kachina624 Oh Sweetie!  SO, so sorry!  I know that must be difficult!