Trusted Contributor

Re: What's your favorite daily facial moisturizer for underneath makeup with SPF 30 or greater?

@seehorse wrote:

Been using CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/SPF 30.  Bonus for me has been firming overall, but have noticed better jawline firmness (this contains ceramides so attributing firming to that).

$2 off coupon on website.

Don't wear foundation, so can't comment on that.

My favorite is Josie's non tinted SPF 47.  I like it because it's moisturizing.  I'm almost out and might try the cerave. @seehorse is it moisturizing as well as firming?

Regular Contributor

Re: What's your favorite daily facial moisturizer for underneath makeup with SPF 30 or greater?

No, they are definitely not all full of chemicals! 

Regular Contributor

@Katcat1 - I am looking for SPF 30 or greater but thank you Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@winamac1 - great article, thanks! 

Regular Contributor

@Vamp wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

@crazyangel64 wrote:
That isn't full of chemicals! I'm 53 with sensitive, combination skin that definitely leads more toward the dry side. I love Devita but unfortunately it broke me out.
I'm looking for options that hopefully won't break the bank but I am open to all suggestions.

Aren't all sunscreens full of chemicals?

No, not all of them. Some are made with physical (mineral) sunscreen ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. 

Zinc oxide & titanium oxide are chemicals, BTW. 

Thanks but most people (and companies) do not consider these to be chemicals. I don't care to debate. Just looking for recommendations. 

Regular Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The thing about SPF being mixed into moisturizers and foundation type products is that it gives a false sense of security/protection.  The correct amount of SPF we should be applying to our faces is roughly 1/4 teaspoon.  That's just the SPF, not counting the rest of the ingredients in the moisturizer, bb cream, cc cream, etc.  Using a separate SPF gives the assurance of better, more complete, sun protection even if you can't use the full 1/4 teaspoon.  

The amounts of SPF are something else too.  An SPF of 30 doesn't mean it's twice as good at blocking the bad UVB rays as an SPF 15.  In comparing SPF 15, 30, and 45, there's only a 3% more blocking between the 15 & 30, and 4% between 15 & 45.

@Thank you for posting @JeanLouiseFinc but I have to disagree with you. 

According to the environmental working group and Paula Begoun there are most definitely very safe and effective moisturizers with sunscreen included. Of course layering sun protection is a great thing, the more the better! But it's not required for protection if you use the right product and if you use enough of it.

Actually, you are supposed to use 1/2 teaspoon of sunscreen on your face according to Paula Begoun. I trust her expert advice.

I understand that 30 SPF does not mean twice the amount of protection. The reason that I choose to use 30 or greater is because that is what Paula Begoun recommends.

Honored Contributor

@crazyangel64 wrote:

@Vamp wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

@crazyangel64 wrote:
That isn't full of chemicals! I'm 53 with sensitive, combination skin that definitely leads more toward the dry side. I love Devita but unfortunately it broke me out.
I'm looking for options that hopefully won't break the bank but I am open to all suggestions.

Aren't all sunscreens full of chemicals?

No, not all of them. Some are made with physical (mineral) sunscreen ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. 

Zinc oxide & titanium oxide are chemicals, BTW. 

Thanks but most people (and companies) do not consider these to be chemicals. I don't care to debate. Just looking for recommendations. 

Vamp--Hello--She's actually correct.  They don't consider them chemicals.  They consider them, interestingly enough, chemical free.  

Hope you are having a great day!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@crazyangel64 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The thing about SPF being mixed into moisturizers and foundation type products is that it gives a false sense of security/protection.  The correct amount of SPF we should be applying to our faces is roughly 1/4 teaspoon.  That's just the SPF, not counting the rest of the ingredients in the moisturizer, bb cream, cc cream, etc.  Using a separate SPF gives the assurance of better, more complete, sun protection even if you can't use the full 1/4 teaspoon.  

The amounts of SPF are something else too.  An SPF of 30 doesn't mean it's twice as good at blocking the bad UVB rays as an SPF 15.  In comparing SPF 15, 30, and 45, there's only a 3% more blocking between the 15 & 30, and 4% between 15 & 45.

@Thank you for posting @JeanLouiseFinc but I have to disagree with you. 

According to the environmental working group and Paula Begoun there are most definitely very safe and effective moisturizers with sunscreen included. Of course layering sun protection is a great thing, the more the better! But it's not required for protection if you use the right product and if you use enough of it.

Actually, you are supposed to use 1/2 teaspoon of sunscreen on your face according to Paula Begoun. I trust her expert advice.

I understand that 30 SPF does not mean twice the amount of protection. The reason that I choose to use 30 or greater is because that is what Paula Begoun recommends.

People are going to listen to who they want,  believe what they want, follow through as they wish, and defend their position accordingly, even when there is other information to the contrary.  If you have these as your favorite sources, I'm wondering why you even brought it up as a topic of discussion since Paula probably has her own sunscreen that she'd be happy to sell you.  My level comparison came from WebMD (High SPF Sunscreens: Are They Better?).  SPF30 seems to be the general consensus of what to look for.  

@crazyangel64  I never said that moisturizers with sunscreen are bad, but that when SPF is mixed in with a moisturizer or BB/CC cream, there is a false sense of security because it's unknown if people are actually getting enough of the SPF.  You have actually supported my point, whether intentional or not.  I've read the recommendation of 1/4 tsp. which appears to be a more conservative amount than what your source suggests.  You say Paula recommends 1/2 tsp.  An article on WebMD says a dollop the size of a half dollar.  Even at the lowest amount of 1/4 tsp., who is going to put that much moisturizer on their face?  And you say Paula wants people to put 1/2 tsp. on?  That's an awful lot of product.  This is where the false sense of security comes in.  Sure something might be better than nothing, but very few will apply 1/2 tsp., or even 1/4 tsp. every day, or reapply every couple of hours throughout the day for that matter.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suebdoo wrote:

@seehorse wrote:

Been using CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/SPF 30.  Bonus for me has been firming overall, but have noticed better jawline firmness (this contains ceramides so attributing firming to that).

$2 off coupon on website.

Don't wear foundation, so can't comment on that.

My favorite is Josie's non tinted SPF 47.  I like it because it's moisturizing.  I'm almost out and might try the cerave. @seehorse is it moisturizing as well as firming?

Hi Suebdoo,

LOL I want to try Josie's next! But I really like this CeraVe. 

My skin is normal/oily and I never used moisturizer when I was younger (even light moisturizers seemed too heavy). Now i need it and this gives me both SPF and moisture. It feels good to me. Don't know it's on.

Beautypedia gives it a good rating:

www.beautypedia.com/skin-care-reviews/by-brand/cerave/_/AM-Facial-Moisturizing-Lotion-Broad-Spectrum...

Honored Contributor

@crazyangel64,   Mad Hippie has a facial creme spf 30 $19.99 at iherb.com   Does not test on animals, natural ingredients.  Ships free with $20 purchase.  I have their Vit. C serum.  

kindness is strength