Contributor

Re: What's the deal with Wen? I'm thinking of trying

It made my hair fall out. I was considering getting in on the legal action against Wen due to the issue.  It was horrible the amount of hair I lost. Luckily several months after discontinuing use my hair began to grow back. Good luck. 

Respected Contributor

I loved WEN for years, but gave it up because it has amodimethicone and I'm avoiding all hair products with silicones. If Chaz got rid of the Amodimethicone, I'd use it again in a heartbeat.

Before I made the move to WEN, I bought a bottle of Suave Coconut conditioner for $1 and used that to wash my hair. It worked and was my $1 proof of concept investment before I spent the big dollars on WEN. While the $1 conditioner worked, it wasn't nearly moisturizing enough for my dry hair.

If you buy it, make sure you follow the directions to add water before massaging it into your hair and detangling. It's very thick and you can pull your own hair out if you don't add some water and make it frothy while you detangle.

Valued Contributor

I started with Wen when my hair began to get thin. I used it for years but my hair did not get thicker. When the story about lawsuits came out, I was moving away from Wen anyway. I don't blame Wen for my hair loss.

But it didn't do anything for my hair. It weighed it down making it look thinner. I did like it and bought gallons of it whenever it was on special.

I don't know about people losing hair and the lawsuits. For me, my hair was getting thinner before I started Wen and I do not blame it on the conditioner.

I found a nice line of shampoos and conditioners that do wonders for my hair. They sell some items in Whole Foods but I can't find it anywhere else. I love what it does to my thin hair and its completely organic.

I also discovered Rogain and use it. I also bought the HairMax Laser Band and use that also. My hair has grown back and I'm thrilled. It was so thin I was looking at wigs!!

I'm not sure what is working but use both Rogain and Hair Max. I'm thrilled with the results.

Wen is nice but now I use the gallon bottles on my dog. I do not use it on my hair anymore. I'm stuck with so much of it but it makes my dog look good and that's fine with me.

Hair loss can be hereditary and there is no shampoo or conditioner which will help. Rogaine works! Its a pain to use but so worth it.

Valued Contributor

@Nadine  WEN made my hair break and fall out after 6 months of using it.  No other hair product EVER caused such a disaster -- I had long thick curly/wavy HEALTHY hair before using WEN, at first it seemed to help keep it in good shape but after 6+ months my precious hair was falling out everywhere, gobs in the shower and handfuls when I massaged my scalp.  WOW.  In all my years I'd never been so depressed about my hair, I thought I had a serious disease.  I use a Water Filter on my shower head, no heat styling or harsh treatments and did nothing else to cause such breakage. I've finally got my Real Hair back, switched to Alterna Caviar and Argan Oil to condition.  Research the class action lawsuit against WEN a couple years ago -- lots of very unhappy former WEN users.  Besides -- it was too pricey to use the massive amounts recommended to "clean".  I guess it works for enough people to keep using it......

Respected Contributor

I like to change around my shampoos.  I'd never buy a  gallon of one kind of shampoo.  Besides that, Wen never liked my hair when I used it years ago.

Respected Contributor

@Ceci   Would you please share the names of the brands of shampoo that you use from Whole Foods?  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

When I jumped on the WEN bandwagon years ago I was hopeful I'd have that soft clean shiny beautiful hair too. 

Things I didn't like about it::  price (too high), needing to use tons of product, made my fingernails so soft they all broke, drain clogging w/all that thick junk, my hair felt dirty by the second day.

No reason to continue on with it.  Smelled nice tho.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I have been on and off with Wen over the years but right now it is the only working in this heat and humidity on my wavy, curly, thick hair. It really makes it soft without flattening it. It's important to follow his instructions. Don't skip the second cleanse and use a dab as a leave in. Give it a try and see if you like the results. His seasonals are more frothy. I like those just because of the beautiful scents. If you want a bargain buy the set that comes with the body treatment. The body treatment is awesome.

Regular Contributor

I love Wen but I use it as a conditioner and never on my scalp.  On my scalp I use a medicated shampoo for my dermatitis.   I have been doing this for years and my hair looks great.  I also recently learned that Wen can be used as a body cleanser.  Wow, how on Earth did I miss that?  I started doing it now (in the summer) and when I'm done I don't need any lotion after I get out of the shower.  When I do that, I cleanse with my soap first  and rinse, then I use a pump or two of Wen with a loofah and rinse.  Amazing results with Wen on my body!  I am very glad I'm doing that because I have a lot of Wen in my house. Smiley Surprised

Super Contributor

Ok for me the worst product on the planet. For me it just does not work at all.. I have done everything they say but it always is either greasy or dry or thinner feeling. Never ever bouncy and shiney... Good shampoo and conditioner always make my hair so much nicer. I just dont get people that love it but they do and their life seems to revolve around it. It just does not work for me. Give it a try and you will rpobably hate it or love it.