Super Contributor

Re: What's the best "beauty" tip/advice you've ever gotten?

When I was a teen, my mother gave great many beauty tips. But one I found striking and memorable was not to over pluck my eyebrows; otherwise, I wouldn't have any when older. I followed that advice and have eyebrows I am proud of today that I don't have to pencil in or darken.

Honored Contributor

Keep your skin clean, use a good moisturizer and concerning makeup, less is more.

Honored Contributor

My Sweet Mother had me sleeping on a silk pillowcase at a very early age. It is good for your face and hair. It works great and I'm 64.

Good beauty tips...Thanks for all your postsHeart

Honored Contributor

I would have to say, keep your face out of the sun.  Too much sun on the face gives you too many wrinkles and they will show up earlier than wanted.  I am glad I stopped in my 20's.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I make my own face powder, and I like it better than the store-bought one that I bought 4 containers of on eBay after it was discontinued (I like that powder a lot...but mine is better).

@mistriTsquirrel

Face powder.   I'm intrigued.  How do you make it?

@sidsmom

Well, I use these ingredients: arrowroot powder, bentonite clay powder, beet root powder and cocoa powder (plain, unsweetened cocoa powder, of course).

For my skin tone, I use 15 parts arrowroot powder, 2 parts bentonite clay powder, 1 part beet root powder and 2 parts cocoa powder...but you can use whatever proportions make the right tone for you. 

Some people also add turmeric powder, but I found that it gave me yellow streaks after several hours of wear, and decided to leave it out.  It's much better (for me) without the turmeric.  I'm told adding turmeric works fine as long as it is finely-milled and you mix it in with the other ingredients well enough, but I don't really need it.

1/8 teaspoon = 1 part  whenever I make mine. 

With so few ingredients, it's easy to figure out what color you need to add if the color doesn't look right.

Next time I think I'm going to add kaolin clay powder and use less arrowroot powder to see if I can give the powder a little coverage.  As it is, it's a good setting powder, but I'd like to see if I can tweak it and make it more opaque.  (I didn't have the kaolin clay when I last made the powder, or else I probably would've added some then.)

Of course, I have to credit my source...Colorful Canary.  She has a website and a YouTube channel where she posts healthy beauty and food recipes, among other things.

@mistriTsquirrel

Wow...this is good stuff.

I can't wait to make this!

Thanks for the source, as well.

Valued Contributor

Best advice I was ever given was to use retinol. I first learned about it by reading the skin care board on Makeup Alley.
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I make my own face powder, and I like it better than the store-bought one that I bought 4 containers of on eBay after it was discontinued (I like that powder a lot...but mine is better).

@mistriTsquirrel

Face powder.   I'm intrigued.  How do you make it?

@sidsmom

Well, I use these ingredients: arrowroot powder, bentonite clay powder, beet root powder and cocoa powder (plain, unsweetened cocoa powder, of course).

For my skin tone, I use 15 parts arrowroot powder, 2 parts bentonite clay powder, 1 part beet root powder and 2 parts cocoa powder...but you can use whatever proportions make the right tone for you. 

Some people also add turmeric powder, but I found that it gave me yellow streaks after several hours of wear, and decided to leave it out.  It's much better (for me) without the turmeric.  I'm told adding turmeric works fine as long as it is finely-milled and you mix it in with the other ingredients well enough, but I don't really need it.

1/8 teaspoon = 1 part  whenever I make mine. 

With so few ingredients, it's easy to figure out what color you need to add if the color doesn't look right.

Next time I think I'm going to add kaolin clay powder and use less arrowroot powder to see if I can give the powder a little coverage.  As it is, it's a good setting powder, but I'd like to see if I can tweak it and make it more opaque.  (I didn't have the kaolin clay when I last made the powder, or else I probably would've added some then.)

Of course, I have to credit my source...Colorful Canary.  She has a website and a YouTube channel where she posts healthy beauty and food recipes, among other things.

@mistriTsquirrel

Wow...this is good stuff.

I can't wait to make this!

Thanks for the source, as well.

@sidsmom

You're welcome!!  She's very knowledgeable about clean eating and living, and she's very nice. 

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Contributor

Don't go too dark with lipstick...it shrinks your lips. Over the years I have learned to play with light and medium shades to make ombre lips (not obvious). Using more than one shade on your lips is like using more than one shade on your eyelids. It creates depth and fuller looking lips.  I do an inner circle of the deeper shade and layer a similar but lighter shade on the outer perimeter.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly the beauty advice hasn't worked for me. I've been using tretinoin for months (prescribed by a dermatologist) and AHA and BHA before that, and none of my closed comedones have gone away nor have my cyclical breakouts. I use SPF 30 sunscreen every day and SPF 50+ if I'm going to be in strong sun (ie. at the beach or hiking) and I still keep getting a ton of sun spots. I moisturize regularly, but I'm 25 and have had fine lines on my forehead for the past few years. My hands are pretty wrinkly as well and have sun spots despite regular sunscreen use and moisturizer/AHA use at night.

My arms and torso are also covered with tiny red blood vessel dots (angiomas) the number of which keeps increasing. My dermatologist told me they are genetic and there's nothing I can do about them unless I want to pay $500 to have them removed (and then they will come back). I now prefer to keep my arms and torso covered at all times because of it. This is the thing that probably bothers me the most appearance-wise even though everyone else says they don't notice it.

My skin is extremely oily in the summer and extremely dry in the winter with little in-between. Makeup tends to look bad on me because of my closed comedones and fine lines...it makes them look more obvious. That is if it stays on at all because it tends to come off within a few hours when my skin is oily. This is regardless of whether it's a liquid, powder, or cream product, whether it's from a name brand or the drugstore, etc. and what I use under or over it.

My hair is also type 1c which is pretty much the worst type because it's both limp and frizzy at the same time no matter what hair products I use, and tangles very easily. However I decided to solve this problem by having it cut above shoulder length which has made me feel a lot better about my hair. But if it grows below shoulder length it starts developing into dreadlocks pretty much immediately despite daily brushing and conditioning. My hairdresser told me this actually isn't uncommon though.

My teeth are bad also. I have not had any cavities drilled yet. But I do have several teeth with decalcification spots and one of them has gum disease and might need to be pulled since it periodically gets infected and painful. I brush twice a day, floss after every meal, and avoid acidic foods.

And on top of that I'm also half-Italian which means I am super hairy, which is very annoying and time-consuming.

In my case I just have bad genes. Both my parents aged badly but I thought it was due to their stressful lifestyles and lack of regular use of sunscreen or moisturizer. My dad was being mistaken for age 70+ when he was only 55. He also had none of his original teeth by the time he was in his mid-50s. My brother is aging badly as well although he is an alcoholic so that kind of makes sense. But I don't smoke, don't drink much, eat pretty healthy, and I'm aging terribly. People mistake me for being older all the time and I pretty much never get carded. My husband is 35 and looks younger than me.

I did not realize I would only have a few years to look like a young person before it all went downhill. I also wasn't allowed to dress like a teenager before I went to college (couldn't wear any skirts or dresses above knee length, and if I wore anything my mom didn't like she would either mock me until I felt too embarrassed to wear it, or physically block me from leaving the house until I changed).

Respected Contributor

@dragthewaters

I'm sorry about your "beauty" issues. I guess if you're eating right, drinking plenty of water, exercising and are in generally good health, there's not much you can do about genetics. We are all blessed in different ways and we also have different burdens. May your physical appearance be your only burden. Hugs!