Honored Contributor

What’s the best medium brown hair dye to cover gray at home?

[ Edited ]

What’s the best medium brown hair dye to cover gray at home? I'm more gray in front with some brown in the back. I'm sick of looking at my gray. I'm looking for very good gray coverage. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What’s the best medium brown hair dye to cover gray at home?

I don't know if you want permanent or semi permanent color, but I use Garnier Nutrisse. It does a good job covering the gray roots and lasts for several months. Using a color protectant shampoo helps also. Also colors lasts longer if you don't wash your hair daily.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Super Contributor

Hi I have been using Clairol Nice and Easy. I find it to be less harsh than others II have sensitive skin) and it doesn't itch when you put it on. I also like the wide array of colors ...My new fav is Mocha brown, lighter broiwn with some red tint! Good luck in your search! 

Honored Contributor

I have used only Revlon Colorsilk for the last 25 years, I use an auburn shade but I am sure there are several med brown ones. Permanent, but ammonia free and gentle. . Get it at Walmart or Amazon for under $3 a box. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D 

I think Revlon color silk is the best permanent hair color and it's inexpensive.  

Respected Contributor

I have been using Better Natured hair color. It is 86-99% naturally derived hair color. It is permanent and lasts as long as any other hair color I have tried. Since I have been coloring my hair I learned that hair color seems to come out darker than what is described or pictured. 

Honored Contributor

When I colored my hair, I used Revlon Colorsilk as a previous poster mentioned.  Although my hair is medium dark brown, I used Dark Blonde and it worked very well.  Did the job at a very reasonable price.

Esteemed Contributor

You might have to experiment. Revlon Colorsilk dried out my hair and the color didn't last long. It's the least expensive, but not as good IMO. Others have had better results with it.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I've been using this for YEARS and am quite happy with the results.  I don't wash my hair daily.  It's dry now and doesn't need it anymore plus my style looks better on days 2 and 3. This colorant leaves my hair feeling so silky soft.  I've also been using a brown shampoo for colored hair and it's lasting even longer.  Due to the way I style my hair, the gray (albeit not a lot) doesn't show on top of my  head but it does at the temples.  I bought this (thanks to the ladies here) to use when needed.

I keep these in stock and just reach for which ever one I'm in the mood for Smiley Happy

The best way I've found to apply this to the temple area is to pull the hair out to the front and taunt.  Then brush it on.

John Frieda Brunette shampoo (and conditioner)

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  - I've been using Revlon Colorsilk for many years now.  I use light golden brown and/or medium golden brown.  Has always worked well for me.