Trusted Contributor

Re: What’s the best medium brown hair dye to cover gray at home?

@Mindy D.....I use Clairol Natural Instincts #4, this semi-permenant color covers the gray on my right temple, I also add  "No Gray' drops to the mix before applying this helps prolong the color alittle longer, I usually repeat every 4 weeks.

Honored Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

@Mindy D.....I use Clairol Natural Instincts #4, this semi-permenant color covers the gray on my right temple, I also add  "No Gray' drops to the mix before applying this helps prolong the color alittle longer, I usually repeat every 4 weeks.

@SoCal Bred  - I've never used the No Gray drops before.  I'm curious if it would make a difference on my hair.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @San Antonio Gal..... Yes, I think it does, I used to purchase a 2-pack (they come in invidual little envelopes per each use) from Walgreen's, they quit selling them.  I found them on Amazon or you may find them in your local beauty supply stores, they carry the bottle type that you just add a few drops to your dye mixture before using.

Respected Contributor

I have used Naturetint --Wheat Germ color. you can check out their website for info.  I generally purchase thru Amazon. A lot of health food stores carry it Whole foods , and I think  iHerb online. The price varies . I usually pay around $12. You can measure out the amount for coverups . It is one of the most gentle I have used in all of the years I have colored my hair. The drugstore ones irritated my scalp.

WhenI first started turning gray-- a very dull gray I had always thought I would just let it go (a child of the all natural 60's Smiley Happy ). But mine was not a silvery or to me at all attractive . I just feel better when I color.

In between I use that powder stuff HSN sells and or the L oreal spray on root coverage.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I've been using this for YEARS and am quite happy with the results.  I don't wash my hair daily.  It's dry now and doesn't need it anymore plus my style looks better on days 2 and 3. This colorant leaves my hair feeling so silky soft.  I've also been using a brown shampoo for colored hair and it's lasting even longer.  Due to the way I style my hair, the gray (albeit not a lot) doesn't show on top of my  head but it does at the temples.  I bought this (thanks to the ladies here) to use when needed.

I keep these in stock and just reach for which ever one I'm in the mood for Smiley Happy

The best way I've found to apply this to the temple area is to pull the hair out to the front and taunt.  Then brush it on.

John Frieda Brunette shampoo (and conditioner)

@Mindy D , I also use Féria #45 and have for years. I recently bought the Color Wow root touch up, but haven't used it yet. 

@monicakm , I will have to try this shampoo! 

Respected Contributor

It's been about 10 years since I colored my own hair, but I used whatever was on sale. (the Sunday newspaper usually had a coupon for something)  I found the only one that left my hair dry and dull was Revlon.  It was the cheapest and I felt there was a reason why. (I know a lot of ladies here swear by it but it just didn't work for me.)

I had my best results with Feria. Clairol, L'Oreal and Garnier were all pretty much the same.  At the time my hair was light brown but I used medium, neutral blond as all brands ran dark.  Eventually I found it easier to buy separate developer (I could get a stronger volume to color my grays) and color at Sally's.  I could mix as much or as little as I wanted.

Super Contributor

chiclet, you may want to try using a dye made for eyebrows/eyelashes.   When I do my eyebrows, what is left over is used to cover any little temple grays popping up.   Does a good job and it seems to last awhile.  There are several brands, but the one that works best for me is 1000 hour.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I've been using this for YEARS and am quite happy with the results.  I don't wash my hair daily.  It's dry now and doesn't need it anymore plus my style looks better on days 2 and 3. This colorant leaves my hair feeling so silky soft.  I've also been using a brown shampoo for colored hair and it's lasting even longer.  Due to the way I style my hair, the gray (albeit not a lot) doesn't show on top of my  head but it does at the temples.  I bought this (thanks to the ladies here) to use when needed.

I keep these in stock and just reach for which ever one I'm in the mood for Smiley Happy

The best way I've found to apply this to the temple area is to pull the hair out to the front and taunt.  Then brush it on.

John Frieda Brunette shampoo (and conditioner)

I wanted to thank you for this recommendation. I tried this color of feria and have been using the Brilliant brunette and the shade is so pretty. It looks like I stepped out of a salon! 

Regular Contributor

Wella color tango you can buy it on Amazon for $7