Valued Contributor

Re: What's the best file you use on your nails?

Dare I say it?  I've recently ditched my emery boards for a nail clipper.  I keep my nails short, but not cut to the quick.  I've found it is easier and gives me a better result.  Those who want beautifully shaped nails might not find this acceptable, though.

Trusted Contributor

I only use glass files. The best are Czech and are etched. Lesser quality files often have a coating that wears down as you use them. The etched ones are extremely long lasting (as long as you don't break them or lose them).

With the files that are like sandpaper, the coarsest grit you should use on natural nails is 180 (lower number = courser; higher number = finer). Anything coarser is very likely to cause damage. For reference, glass files are usually 400-600, thus leaving a smoother edge on your nail.

Honored Contributor

I use Sparitual which I purchase on line.  Come in many grit levels.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Frequent Contributor

I got glass ones I think from Qvc years ago love one big one small wash them. They work really well
Honored Contributor

I use Sparitual which I purchase on line.  Come in many grit levels.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I use OPI glass files from Amazon.  I keep one next to my TV chair and even up nails each  night after dinner and hit them with a coat of TIPS.  I've accepted the fact that I'm allergic to all nail polishes, so this little routine is it for my nail care. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mj57 wrote:
I got glass ones I think from Qvc years ago love one big one small wash them. They work really well

I got that set too, but my favorite glass file is from Essie that I got years ago from Trade Secret.  It's got to be over 10 years old and files my nails so smoothly.  The QVC ones aren't quite as smooth but I carry the small one in my bag in case I break a nail.