Regular Contributor

Re: What's the best file you use on your nails?

I agree that crystal files are the way to go.  I've gotten a couple of Mark V sets and they are great.  They aren't available at the Q anymore but you might have luck on Amazon.

Valued Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@laurelei wrote:

I have a Nail Tek crystal file that I got at Ulta.  Works great and never wears out.  Amazon also has similar files for a lower price.  

@laurelei  I've read that crystal nail files are the best because they don't tear your nails and you can file them in both directions unlike the recommended one-way filing use for emery boards or metal nail files. 

I purchased Perfect Formula (A257174) for my nails, and their crystal nail file included in this set is fantastic.  It leaves my nails so smooth.  But of course you can get the file separately.

I've had my crystal file for years and it works just as well now as when it was new.  

Honored Contributor

Ditto on the crystal/glass files.  I have two.  A small and large  one.  They never wear out and don't tug at your nails.  I'll never use anything else.

Trusted Contributor

I use a crystal nail file. Mine is by Lady Primrose ,but I don't think LP makes them anymore. I'm sure there are others out there. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Pro Strong Pro Edge   A114603.  These have been the best I have ever tried.  They finish off the edges like nothing else, imo. 

Honored Contributor

"Revlon Emeryl"; has a 'shaping' (medium) side and a 'finishing' (fine) side.

Respected Contributor

I use Czech glass nail files. I picked mine up where I buy my guitar strings. You would NOT believe how important nails are to playing classical guitar! It's hilarious, but if my nail is not just so, my teacher will grab my hand and file the nail. Then we use a sort of micromesh sandpaper afterwards to smooth them, I can't do manicures: left hand is cut to the fingertips and right hand has these wonky shapes on an angle. But I spend a lot of time on my nails!

Esteemed Contributor

Many, many years ago, some lady on this board advised me to only use the Czech crystal nail files.  I immediately ordered a set on Ebay.  I'm still using those same crystal nail files today.  I put them in the dishwasher about once a month to keep them clean and sanitary.  They'll probably last me forever, and still do a fabulous job on my nails.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Do you use a file that has a degree of like sandpaper?  

@qualitygal  I use a crystal file that came with a set from Perfect Formula years ago. It seems to do the job of sealing the ends of nails....as long as you're careful to only file in one direction.