Respected Contributor

Re: What's a good peel for Sun spots?

Thanks so much silleemee☺
Honored Contributor

A dermatologist can remove sunspots for a price.  I've got some big ones on my face and chest.  I've used AHA daily for over 25 years, and it's helped to prevent wrinkling but has done nothing for sunspots.  You can bleach them temporarily but I don't think you can remove them.  Easier to cover with make up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, a derm doc can laser them off, a friend of mine had her hands done for about $200, they look great.

Honored Contributor

I had a derm laser two stubborn spots on my cheeks that I couldn't treat myself with any luck. Fortunately those spots have never returned. I still use glycolic acid to maintain a clear complexion. For me it works well. I don't have any dark spots right now and I think it's the Retin-A and glycolic acid that helps very much.

Regular Contributor

I have incredibly good success with Makeup Artists Choice (MUAC) TCA Peels. I have used them on my chest and  hands as well as my face. You should start with a low percentage peel and as you begin to gauge your tolerance, you can go higher. These peels have completely eradicated my stubborn sun spots and generalized sun damage. Some areas like my chest and hands have needed multiple treatments, but facial skin is thinner and one peel every 2-3 years is enough. I paid $500 at my dermatologist's office for what I can do myself for less than $50. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Haircut100 wrote:

I have incredibly good success with Makeup Artists Choice (MUAC) TCA Peels. I have used them on my chest and  hands as well as my face. You should start with a low percentage peel and as you begin to gauge your tolerance, you can go higher. These peels have completely eradicated my stubborn sun spots and generalized sun damage. Some areas like my chest and hands have needed multiple treatments, but facial skin is thinner and one peel every 2-3 years is enough. I paid $500 at my dermatologist's office for what I can do myself for less than $50. 

I've done those too but they are not for the weak of heart. You have to be really careful and brave which I am but a lot of people are not. I had a deep TCA peel and the plastic surgeon's office and it was amzing but expensive.  I had about 2 weeks down time but worth it. I kind of backed off the MUA peels because they make me a bit nervous. Although I didn't have a problem with them. I have been using 5% & 10% lactic acid from The Ordinary and have had some success. These spots will follow me for the rest of my life but that is the price for being a sun worshpper for decades. 

Trusted Contributor

A friend of mine paid a pretty penny to have sun spots removed from her face only for them to return.  Money wasted. 

Respected Contributor

I'm going to get the glycolic pads.
Trusted Contributor

Hydroquinone is the best for diminishing sun spots.  Wal-Mart carries Ambi Fade Cream and Nadinola Fade Cream (in the African American beauty section) which both contain 2% hydroquinone.  However, the best percentage of hydroquinone was prescribed by my dermatologist at 6% in a compounded formula with two other ingredients (one was Retin-A).  You have to stick with the product for months and always wear sunscreen.