Contributor

What's So Special About BGT?

I've been using WEN for about a month and took advantage of the TSV's in POM and SAM and got FTP as well. I've been seeing a lot of posts about BGT. I know it has an amazing smell but what type of hair is is suited for. I used the product recommendation at Chaz's site and I'm not getting any BGT and I played around with it several times. I have naturally curly, wavy hair that is short in a pixie. I let it air dry and the texture is more soft than coarse but super thick. I don't know if BGT is right for me but I've been doing really well with POM.

Valued Contributor

Re: What's So Special About BGT?

I posted this recently but will post again. There are many more threads explaining BGT as well. Just scroll down on the Wen Forum list and you'll see them. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Well for one thing it's an option for people who have allergies as it is rice based, not soy (POM, 613, seasonals) or wheat (SAM, CA, TT, Fig, LAV). It has added peptides and amino acids (like 613 & seasonals). Menthol is also lower down on the ingredient deck list, so for those who cannot tolerate higher menthol formulas (POM, CA) can most likely use this instead. It's main ingredient, bamboo, helps tremendously with fine, brittle and damaged hair. It's great for repairing (think of bamboo, very difficult to break). Also bamboo has added vitamins to it. Also a 4 tea complex (also in FTP currently) that helps with shine and also troublesome scalps. It has a lighter scent (unlike seasonals, 613) so that those who cannot tolerate heavy scents can also use BGT instead.

It is more treatment based, like 613, hence the higher price point. It is not the typical core CC. Chaz says it is universal, however many consumers hair (who cannot tolerate higher protein) cannot tolerate consistent use (some it frizzes hair, some it weighs it down).

Chaz's website recommendations are just a guideline - you do not have to follow them to the T. Look at reviews on here, in the forum, and you can see how everyone's hair reacts to certain formulas (although someone who may have similar hair as you might have different results). BGT is well loved amongst most Wen users so it is worth a try!

Respected Contributor

I love, love love it! It not only smells great but it's great for my thick color treated hair!! I think your so right Caitlin as a lot of it is personal preference. I haven't tries the FTP yet but am excited to try.
Esteemed Contributor

Caitlin gave you some great info!

My experience with BGT:

It didn't play well with other formulas. My bipolar hair liked it when I used it for both cleanses and the leave-in.

When I used it alone, it gave my hair everything it needed: moisture, protein, softness, no frizz.

And the scent is heavenly!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I love the scent the most. I also love that it is a light formula.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Esteemed Contributor

I love the scent too, it transports me! I like to use it with tea tree. It rinses well and it makes the whole bathroom smell so good.
Honored Contributor

The only thing I love about BGT is the scent. Unfortunately it didn't play nice with my hair. But I love the scent-very spa-like, fresh. The scent is probably the only one I'd buy an ultra nourishing body cream in, even though it would be expensive.

Contributor

I have a fine hair shaft, but I have tons of hair, even though it is only chin length. Lol. I have owned all of the original core formulas. The ones that gave me the moisture I loved would all look great the first day, but would leave me flat the second day. Surprisingly, the biggest offender was SAM. I was thinking I would just have to stick with the seasonals which seemed to be the best for me. That in itself isn't bad. I love the seasonal scents, but they just aren't as readily available, are subject to change, etc. I was worried about changing formulas and leaving me with something I hated. Then BGT came out. It is very nice. My hair sis so silky, but not weighed down! Not even second day!
Regular Contributor

On 9/4/2014 HappyDaze said:

The only thing I love about BGT is the scent. Unfortunately it didn't play nice with my hair. But I love the scent-very spa-like, fresh. The scent is probably the only one I'd buy an ultra nourishing body cream in, even though it would be expensive.

Same for me. BGT gave me flash backs to my shampoo days. Put some in my hair and the comb got stuck. Had to add some 613. If Chaz makes a body wash of it, I'll probably buy it.

Honored Contributor

On 9/4/2014 CaitlinH said:

I posted this recently but will post again. There are many more threads explaining BGT as well. Just scroll down on the Wen Forum list and you'll see them. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Well for one thing it's an option for people who have allergies as it is rice based, not soy (POM, 613, seasonals) or wheat (SAM, CA, TT, Fig, LAV). It has added peptides and amino acids (like 613 & seasonals). Menthol is also lower down on the ingredient deck list, so for those who cannot tolerate higher menthol formulas (POM, CA) can most likely use this instead. It's main ingredient, bamboo, helps tremendously with fine, brittle and damaged hair. It's great for repairing (think of bamboo, very difficult to break). Also bamboo has added vitamins to it. Also a 4 tea complex (also in FTP currently) that helps with shine and also troublesome scalps. It has a lighter scent (unlike seasonals, 613) so that those who cannot tolerate heavy scents can also use BGT instead.

It is more treatment based, like 613, hence the higher price point. It is not the typical core CC. Chaz says it is universal, however many consumers hair (who cannot tolerate higher protein) cannot tolerate consistent use (some it frizzes hair, some it weighs it down).

Chaz's website recommendations are just a guideline - you do not have to follow them to the T. Look at reviews on here, in the forum, and you can see how everyone's hair reacts to certain formulas (although someone who may have similar hair as you might have different results). BGT is well loved amongst most Wen users so it is worth a try!

Caitlin, WOW!! Great information!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I have thin/fine, pourous hair and my hair can't get enough of 613 or BGT. For my hair, I think the BGT my even have greater hair repair benefits than 613. My hair seems to love the BGT complex.

If you have thick/coarse hair, or healthy hair, you may have to be careful about how much of the "amped up" 613 or "wen on steroids" 613 you use… because healthy hair only wants/needs so much protein. Too much protein can cause certain types of hair to become brittle or even break.

In contrast, theire's my genetically challenged hair that I've sometimes said would like to have 613 for breakfast, lunch, supper and a late night snack. I few weeks ago I had had some spare time and decided to see if this might really be true. I'm not suggesting that anyone else try this wexperiment out, but I gave it a whirl (I've got short hair and so it would grow back quickly *s*)...

For a three and a half day period, I kept applying 613 CC to my hair making sure to squeeze it into the hair structure. Aproximately every threee hours I would re-wet my hair to try to encourage the amino acid complex to bond to my hair. I'm not a stylist (or a chemist), but somehow it seemed that the amino acid complex would be more effective when it was wet. Each night I slept with 613 CC in my hair and I would re-wet my air and add more 613 CC when I got up in the morning. After three and a half days I was tired enough of the wexperiment and finally washed it out of my hair. The results...

There was a little more overall imporvement in the overall health of my hair but not enough to make me want to redo the experiment. These days I'm happy to just be using 613 CC more often, doing an all 613 leave-in, and occasionally doing an overnight hair treatment with 613 CC.

The really good news is that my hair didn't get brittle, or worse start to break because it had gotten too much of the amino acid complex. I think that my experiment probably proves what I have always known: that I sure did not win the genetic "va va boom" hair lottery. But thanks to Wen I have the best head of hair I have ever had. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

-- bebeSmile Wen FAQ - key Wen links - Wen 101 - tips from Chaz Dean Studio