Trusted Contributor

What's Happened to Beauty Banter?

I know this forum hasn't been referred to as 'Beauty Banter' in years, I always thought that was a fun name.

I am an on-again, off-again visitor to this forum and have always enjoyed reading the posts and received great suggestions to my questions over the years.  

I remember when this forum held as many as three pages of new posts each day. In the past couple of years, daily posts have dwindled significantly.  Why have we lost interest?  Is it because our interest in QVC has diminished (mine has) or because we have become too busy to stop in and chat?  

Just interested in your thoughts...

Honored Contributor

Re: What's Happened to Beauty Banter?

For me personally, I get too busy with work to visit the boards daily.  I find that I visit more often on the weekend in my down time.  Sometimes during the work day, I need a mental break, so I visit the boards for a few minutes.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Every forum IMO is stagnant simply because of the censorship, we have Mods now, you have to weigh every word so you don't cross the line and your post is deleted. I think people are just bored and have moved on. I think the beauty forum is fairly lively compared to the other forums though.

Esteemed Contributor

I will visit the QVC boards nearly every day but I don't post everyday. Sometimes it's just lurking and reading. I also look at Reddit's beautyguruchatter subreddit but I am not a member there. I just scan that forum for beauty info and gossip/tea.

I also watch various youtube beauty gurus and that also takes up my time too.

I appreciate that these boards are moderated though.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny My personal opinion is that every time QVC did a technical update of the boards they lost more and more posters.  One update was so bad that someone created an entirely new board, so people could move over to that one and it was successful for a period of time.  I've been a poster here since 2006 and this board used to MOVE and it was great fun.  It hasn't been like that in many years now.  

@TY I'm also a reddit user and I like muaonthecheap.  Everyone posts the deals they find and it's a nice board to visit.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

A few years back or so, we had so much fun on this forum.  Joking, laughing -- and yes, a lot of new threads.  A lot of women moved on and we lost a few along the way.  I am not sure why more women don't create new threads.  We really can't go back but only forward and hope that things pick up.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Stargazer77 

The canadian makeup reddit I read is called MakeupAddictionCanada and the first pinned thread is always about what makeup bargains people find in Winners, Marshall’s, Shoppers Drug Mart (a national drugstore chain that also has high end makeup and department store brands) and other stores like Dollarama (a national dollar store chain.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny 

The viewers and purchasers from QVC and other shopping channels could be down. Makeup is sometimes an impulse purchase and you don't want to wait 2 weeks for it to ship to you and pay extra for that shipping.

Colors are deceiving on the TV and on a monitor. It's expensive and disconcerting to receive a foundation or lipstick that you thought would match and it's totally off. If at a store, you can swatch it. 

My other explanation for the lower number of threads here is the average age of those on these forums. Most are retired,  don't wear as much makeup, after so many years have settled on a skincare routine and/or not spending as much money trying new cosmetics. 

I enjoy starting a thread or checking in and posting a reply, but you're right that many days, there's nothing new. Sometimes the same questions are asked that have been answered many times here before and I skip over those threads. 

Until Q changes and includes some new, exciting beauty lines, the Beauty Forum may not be as exciting as it was before.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember the days when the Beauty Banter forum moved so fast that I couldn't keep up.  You'd have to be here every minute of every day to read all the threads.  New threads were added every minute!  Who has that kind of time or interest?  In a way, I'm glad it slowed down -- except that now it's slowed to the point of being boring.  Not many thread titles interest me these days, but I usually read here while I have my morning coffee.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I've been on here for years too and I also remember when this forum was much more active than it is now. 

I could be all wrong, but maybe part of the problem is that QVC keeps airing the same old products over and over again? How much can you discuss Josie Maran, Philosoophy, It, without it getting super boring? I know that I personally have no interest in any of those lines. 

I also think that having the Favorite Brand forum deters from everyone posting about all things beauty in one place, it's separated out now.