Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's Happened to Beauty Banter?

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I know a few people who no longer post here because they are tired of the constant complaining about everything.

It does get very tiresome. 

After all, it was called, "banter."

Now what can we banter about?

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Every forum IMO is stagnant simply because of the censorship, we have Mods now, you have to weigh every word so you don't cross the line and your post is deleted. I think people are just bored and have moved on. I think the beauty forum is fairly lively compared to the other forums though.

I never feel like I have to weigh every word and have only very rarely had posts deleted, usually when an entire thread was deleted.

I do hate that it's become so difficult to post links to thigs because I might link to an article about mascara and the same magazine or news site might have a political article somewhere on the page. That's ridiculous to me. We cannot sanitize the world of things we do not wish to see.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have my own private group on Facebook and that is where I post about everything as do the 274 members. Used to love the QVC forums but they were too focused on QVC brands.  Lulu's Beauty Friends is the name of my FB group if you want to join and send a request.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I know a few people who no longer post here because they are tired of the constant complaining about everything.

The definition of banter doesn't fit what goes on here sometimes.  

Honored Contributor

I too, remember those years, but I think a couple of things have happened.

I think the interest in makeup/skincare sold on QVC has dwindled, because it is so repetitive and the same brands are shown over and over and over, so nothing new to talk about.

Before we used to see BE, Mally and Smashbox and Philosophy and YSL and different vendors, QVC would have beauty shows and we would see different vendors and different products,etc....

Now QVC may still sell those particular products or product line, but we rarely see them presented, so interest is lost...

Also I know for me, I don't buy as much makeup as I did years ago, as I am really trying to shop my stash these days, so the only replenishments are lipsticks, mascaras and foundation.

I don't need blush for the rest of my life, and I stopped wearing eyeshadows, I still love eyeliners, but have a nice supply of those as well.

So some of that may be the reason for the decline of chatter on the Beauty Forum.....I know I tend to check the TV and Community before checking Beauty any more.........Maybe QVC will make some positive changes in 2020 with regards to products...hopefullyanyway!

Trusted Contributor

@Stargazer77 

@Stargazer77 wrote:

@Quinny My personal opinion is that every time QVC did a technical update of the boards they lost more and more posters.  One update was so bad that someone created an entirely new board, so people could move over to that one and it was successful for a period of time.  I've been a poster here since 2006 and this board used to MOVE and it was great fun.  It hasn't been like in many years now.  

@TY I'm also a reddit user and I like muaonthecheap.  Everyone posts the deals they find and it's a nice board to visit.

@Stargazer77 

You are 100% right on!

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

I can't help myself, I'm a logophile. Banter is defined as good-natured and usually witty conversation; playful joking. You're correct, complaining does not fall within the definition of banter, not even close.

Honored Contributor

I have to say there are some very good responses on this thread.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I thought an expert - who conned some members - caused an upheaval on the beauty forum.