Contributor

Re: What's A Good Under Eye Concealor

@NickNack wrote:

I'm looking for a good under eye concealor.  I don't have terrible dark circles, but I do have a little bit of darkness under my eyes.  I recently switched to Bobbi Brown's stick foundation, which I love, but her concealor doesn't get good reviews.  I'm considering:

Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Ultra Longwear Concealor

Nars Soft Matte Concealor

and

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealor.

Does anyone wear one of these or have any other recommendations?  I'm planning on going to the Mall tomorrow (Monday).  I don't want a concealor that I'd have to order, because I want to be able to get a good color match in person.

@NickNack wrote:

I'm looking for a good under eye concealor.  I don't have terrible dark circles, but I do have a little bit of darkness under my eyes.  I recently switched to Bobbi Brown's stick foundation, which I love, but her concealor doesn't get good reviews.  I'm considering:

and

Does anyone wear one of these or have any other recommendations?  I'm planning on going to the Mall tomorrow (Monday).  I don't want a concealor that I'd have to order, because I want to be able to get a good color match in person.

@NickNack wrote:

and

Tarte ShapeTape....without a doubt!  Best. Concealor. EVER!!!  I have only found the ShapeTape on the Q or at ULTA.  ShapeTape Concealor is different from the Tarte Concealor.  Need the ShapeTape.   

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

NARS Creamy Concealer. I use the color “Custard.” It doesn’t crease or settle into lines. Long lasting on the face and doesn’t come off in high humidity. Very creamy consistency and easy to spread. I use my finger. I usually mis it wit a peach concealer from a Becca to cancel out my dark undear eye circles.

@Mindy D   I looked at the Creamy Concealor and ended up getting the Nars Soft Matte Concealor.  I got a peach corrector from Urban Decay to cancel out the dark circles.  I think I'll like them both.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I went to Sephora today and bought the Nars Soft Matte Concealor and Urban Decay Corrector.  I needed the corrector to cancel out the dark circles.  The sales person at Sephora was very helpful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

I use Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place concealer.  It's one of my favorites. The key to using it is you don't need much of this product to be effective. It covers really well, and isn't drying. I like it because it doesnt settle in fine lines nearly as much as some other concealers. Another favorite of mine is Maybelline Instant Age Rewind. It does an excellent job as well. 

Super Contributor

I want to purchase the Maybelline Rewind Undereye Concealer...but need help with which color to choose? I use Clinique Foundation & need to know if I should go lighter or darker with the Undereye Concealer? What do most of you use? TY in advance for all your help with this.

Honored Contributor

I like to go a little lighter than my foundation with my under eye concealer. The key is to apply concealers only where there is discoloration or darkness and not to take it across the entire under eye area...unless that entire area is dark and discolored, it just makes for too much contrast against your foundation and the creasing becomes evident there, too. I always apply my concealers first then my foundation and sometimes a little blending to make the concealer appear seamless. Some people do just the opposite. I think that just depends on the product, tools and your skin when it comes to making it look right.

For discolorations on my face, I use a concealer that matches my foundation...close as I can get to that. 

@wenfen 

Esteemed Contributor

I use Bobbi Brown foundation stick and the concealing system. I like both. I do have dark circles under my eyes. The concealer is a system of correct, conceal and set. If you have dry skin or other issues around the  eye area this might not work the best for you. I do have those issues but it depends on the allergy count for that day.

That said, I usuall have a second concealer on days that I need extra moisture in that area then I use the Doll10 concealer. It takes a few times to get accustomed to the applicatior but it does a nice job.   

Trusted Contributor

I have tried dozens of under eye concealers, everything from Wet n Wild to Maybelline Age Rewind to NARS to (my latest) Tarte Shape Tape.  I don't have too many fine lines around my eyes, but every eye concealer eventually settles into creases and lines.  As in all things, gravity prevails.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack et al, I tried Maybelline Age Rewind last night and liked it as much as Lancôme.  I can’t comment on it’s lasting power as I only had it on for a couple of hours.  Thanks for the tip to remov the sponge applicator.  LM

Honored Contributor

Nothing more fun than stopping by and seeing a good makeup question!! 

Concealers are as tricky as foundation. What works for one may not do well for someone else. It’s most important to use a good eye cream, pat it in and give it time to settle before application of a concealer. If you have very dark under eye areas, it’s better to use a lightweight corrector to cancel some of that out and then a light layer of concealer on top. It works much better than a heavy hand w/ concealer alone.

Corrector...Bobbi Brown makes the most creamy ones and the largest variety of shades. Depending on whether your darkness is blue/purple or more grey, the artist at counter can recommend whether you need to go yellow or peach. 

Concealers: I’ve always liked Bobbi Brown, NARS Creamy Concealer (w/ doe foot), Laura Mercier in the pot, Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage (meant for areas on the face, not under eyes). It has 2 shades that you use your brush to dip in each, get your skin tone correct shade and warm up on hand before application. 

***If you use an eye primer, you can lightly apply it under the eye to smooth the area after moisturizer & before concealer.

***When using my stick foundation, I work with 3 shades...one that’s a shade lighter to conceal, one that’s my foundation shade and a stick 2-3 shades darker to “bronze or contour”. The same technique can be used with any makeup. Using the same formulation of bronzer/contour as foundation is very easy to blend...cream to cream or powder to powder. If using a powder bronzer over a creamy foundation, be sure to lightly powder that area first to avoid streaking. It’s more difficult to blend a creamy product over a powder.