Honored Contributor

Re: What perfume are you wearing today?

1Professor --

Back in the 70s, Toujours Moi produced gift items with a unicorn theme.  My family scrambled to buy up everything they could find one Christmas.  I still have all those items and now I'm seeing them for sale online.  I should probably sell them, but I don't think I can.  My mother, sister and stepfather -- the Christmas unicorn hunters -- are all gone now, so parting with those things would be hard.

If you'd like to try the fragrance without spending a fortune, drugstore.com has a two-bottle set for $16 and a 4-ouncer for $18.  A steal.

I've had a unicorn incense burner since high school -- I used it to hold an opal ring my sister gave me for my 16th birthday.  Recently I saw a photo online and that's when I realized it was one of the items from Toujours Moi.  I've kept the other items -- all ceramic and glass -- in their original boxes.

unicorn

Some may think fragrance is frivolous – something we foolishly spray on ourselves -- but we know fragrance is more than that.  It’s the holder of memories and it has the power to transport us to places we might not see again.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

1Professor --

Back in the 70s, Toujours Moi produced gift items with a unicorn theme.  My family scrambled to buy up everything they could find one Christmas.  I still have all those items and now I'm seeing them for sale online.  I should probably sell them, but I don't think I can.  My mother, sister and stepfather -- the Christmas unicorn hunters -- are all gone now, so parting with those things would be hard.

If you'd like to try the fragrance without spending a fortune, drugstore.com has a two-bottle set for $16 and a 4-ouncer for $18.  A steal.

I've had a unicorn incense burner since high school -- I used it to hold an opal ring my sister gave me for my 16th birthday.  Recently I saw a photo online and that's when I realized it was one of the items from Toujours Moi.  I've kept the other items -- all ceramic and glass -- in their original boxes.

unicorn

Some may think fragrance is frivolous – something we foolishly spray on ourselves -- but we know fragrance is more than that.  It’s the holder of memories and it has the power to transport us to places we might not see again.

@just bee: Oh, I adore unicorns! I'm also a folklorist, teaching multicultural storytelling, and collect ancient tales of unicorns! 

I envy your collection. And the scent. Thanks for the heads up on drugstore.com!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@just bee wrote:

1Professor --

unicorn

@just bee: Oh, I adore unicorns! I'm also a folklorist, teaching multicultural storytelling, and collect ancient tales of unicorns! 

I envy your collection. And the scent. Thanks for the heads up on drugstore.com!!

I envy your life!  What a wonderful way to share your passions. 

I miss the days when I could walk into a drugstore and play with all those testers and buy marked-down gift sets after the holidays.  Drugstore.com makes it possible to find those fragrances that we may have forgotten and sniff them again.  There was a storewide fragrance sale recently and then I received an email for an additional 20% off.  I found a Dana gift set -- Tabu, Toujours Moi, Navy and Chantilly -- and it was $7.99.  I bristle when I hear the classic oriental fragrances described as cheap or as "old lady" scents.

For three years I worked for a local non-profit arts organization and one day a local actor/filmmaker walked into my office and stopped in his tracks.  "Tabu!  You're wearing Tabu!"  I was ready to apologize but then realized that he was one of the few left who appreciated the fragrance.  I'll never forget the dreamy look on his face as he told me about the woman who had worn the scent.  The love of his life.

I was reminded of that experience when I saw him in an episode of Breaking Bad.  It's why I always keep Tabu in my collection.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Frequent Contributor

I am wearing La Vie Est Belle by Lancome.

Respected Contributor

Thanks to a wonderful contributor to this thread, today I'm wearing a sample of TABU!

nd.1104.jpg

Here's the description:

The first fragrance of the house was Tabu, created by Jean Carles 1932. Jean Carles was well known for his wonderful creations made of unusual materials. Before creating Tabu, he was instructed to make a fragrance for a whore (‘un parfum de puta’). Thus, Tabu was created, sensual and shocking.

Its luscious oriental floral composition starts with fresh citrus and spicy notes. The spices in the heart accentuate the beauty of exuberant flowers: jasmine, narcissus, rose and ylang-ylang. Warm oriental base includes amber, resins, civet and precious woods – sandal and patchouli.

Honored Contributor

GARDENIA 1933 by tuvache. 

The original Jungle Gardenia made by the same company no longer exists. You can find it at auction but  it's rare and expensive. The newer version (1933) smells quiet like the original, however less intoxicating imo. Every time I wear this fragrance my dog comes close to me...so sweet.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

Thanks to a wonderful contributor to this thread, today I'm wearing a sample of TABU!

nd.1104.jpg

Here's the description:

The first fragrance of the house was Tabu, created by Jean Carles 1932. Jean Carles was well known for his wonderful creations made of unusual materials. Before creating Tabu, he was instructed to make a fragrance for a whore (‘un parfum de puta’). Thus, Tabu was created, sensual and shocking.

Its luscious oriental floral composition starts with fresh citrus and spicy notes. The spices in the heart accentuate the beauty of exuberant flowers: jasmine, narcissus, rose and ylang-ylang. Warm oriental base includes amber, resins, civet and precious woods – sandal and patchouli.

It's a fragrance that I will defend to the death!

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

nd.1104.jpg

Here's the description:

It's a fragrance that I will defend to the death!

@just bee: First day, already had 2 students ask what I was wearing!

Honored Contributor

I wore Pure Grace today.  It was warm and sunny-it just made sense to me, LOL.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

The only scents I typically wear:

Flowerbomb

Angel

Falling in Love

Velvet Orchid

Pure Grace

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"