Respected Contributor

What non-surgical procedures or products work best to rebuild collagen and smooth out wrinkles?

What products or non-surgical procedures have you found that really work at rebuilding collagen and  smoothing out wrinkles?  I have been hearing about some fillers and laser resurfacing but also have heard some horror stories.  Thanks for sharing.

Valued Contributor

Re: What non-surgical procedures or products work best to rebuild collagen and smooth out wrinkles?

my opinion of ways to reduce wrinkles

- drink more water
- stay out of the sun
- eat healthy foods

i am not a scientist, but it seems that topical products that "claim" they have collagen in them, aren't working, as people expected that they would. maybe that's because most products are watered down and contain so many fillers (aka ingredients that aren't good for you, one way or another). i say that because these wrinkle reduction products have been around for decades and people seem to be getting wrinkles earlier and earlier in life. by now, a large percent of people over 50 should be wrinkle free - LOL

i suspect that taking collagen orally would be a better solution, as most issues actually start on the inside and eventually show up on the outside. similar to how athletes get hyaluronic injections for knee or other joint pain. yes, they will sit in a special tub with something in it, that i can't remember the name of it right now, but when that doesn't work, they get an injection. they don't continue to put on cream or ointment on.

yes, people will say or swear by such and such a product, but they still have the thing (in this case wrinkles) that whatever product that they are slathering on, is suppose to remedy. this is why when i use to watch beauty shows, i would crack up, when i'd hear someone on air say, "i've been using product x for 3 years (or whatever)", but they still have the thing that the product is claiming that it reduces, fixes or removes. why is that? hmmmm.

some topical products in this category will give people a slight fix. i honestly, think it's trial and error for a lot of beauty products. what may work a little for some people, will not produce any results for other people.
sadly, many beauty products are more hype then results.

in general, products that have more natural ingredients are better for the skin, then products that are really nothing more than chemical soup. i would suggest looking at brands that are more natural, like korres, m asam and beekman 1802. i can't recommend a specific product from these lines for this issue, because when products in this category are aired, i honestly don't listen, because i don't have a need for them. however, i do buy other products from these brands because of the natural ingredients.

if one starts trying to fix this when the wrinkles could hold lunch, it may be too late, if they don't go under the knife or get botox. i suspect, somewhere on the planet, there are ingredients that will reduce the size/depth of wrinkles. i have seen a product on an infomercial called plexaderm or something like that, that is suppose to at least temporarily fill in wrinkles and other things. i think i've seen it on hsn or qvc, but don't remember which. not sure why one has to keep their face still for 10 minutes after putting it on. other then when i'm sleep, i don't think i've kept my face that still, for that amount of time ever.

often, you hear product vendors or reps say that unless one's skin is clean, products won't work as expected. i've come to believe that many people "think" they are getting their face really clean, when using their hands or a wash cloth, but i suspect otherwise. if one isn't sure that their face is clean, they should wash their face as they normally do, then take an alcohol free pad of some type, like stridex, or a beekman face wipe and rub it on their face and see if the pad or wipe is still white. probably not. dirt and dead skin cells contribute to the problem, unless one is just plain ole' lucky.

i hope that you find a product that works for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What non-surgical procedures or products work best to rebuild collagen and smooth out wrinkles?

[ Edited ]

Non-invasive? All the things we've been talking about on this Board for years! Retinol, Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid), niacin, antioxidants -- topically.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3583892/

You can't go about messing it up, though, with smoking, pollution, poor nutrition, etc. as the chart relates.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tretinoin (Retin-A) works for me. Some people may not know this but RA doesn't actually 'build collagen'. However, what it does to reduce wrinkles is it does that by inhibiting a skin enzyme called collagenase which is found naturally in the skin. Collagenase destroys collagen and, with age, there is more of it in our skin so what that means is we get more wrinkles and thinner skin in our older years.  By using RA it is possible to slow the effects of the collagenase and that means over time the collagen will continue to remain in the skin without getting broken down leading to smoother skin. It's never too early to start using RA. 

Another very successful procedure that I have had done professionally is laser resurfacing. While at home I use microneedles to induce collagen.

Glycolic acid is another topical that has been shown to induce collagen. That acid is the smallest molecule that can penetrate deeper than all the other skin care acids such as salicylic and lactic acids. Because of that small size, GA can reach the deeper layers of the skin where collagen is formed. But in order for it to get there it must be left on the skin for longer periods of time...not just applied and rinsed off. Best to use a GA product such as a cream or leave-on treatment product and do that at night.

Talk with a derm. There are several non-surgical treatments which are used to reduce wrinkles. None are invasive and do not require surgery. Downtimes are minimal.

Esteemed Contributor

For me, it was Retin-A, hyalauronic acid serums, and Restylane filler. I can eat an uber healthy diet, or Lucky Charms every day and food did not make any difference (for me). There is no magic bullet to anti-aging, especially over-the-counter products. I'd see a dermatologist and get her advice. 

Honored Contributor

I have had good luck with oils for wrinkles making them hardly noticeable.  Argan, Marula, Maracuja.  I am currently using Maracuja oil because of its claims of firming too.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@iwrite   Botox will not fill or fix wrinkles. It does however prevent some from forming. Fillers do fill in wrinkles, but deeper ones require too much to look natural. If the wrinkles are deep, laser refusing would have to be damaging enough to the skin to induce collagen production underneath and mean scabbing, raw skin on the surface...weeks to months of healing w/ possible scarring. Peels and lighter laser treatments are for minor surface wrinkling, discoloration and spots. 

Prevention is best. 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

Non-invasive? All the things we've been talking about on this Board for years! Retinol, Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid), niacin, antioxidants -- topically.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3583892/

You can't go about messing it up, though, with smoking, pollution, poor nutrition, etc. as the chart relates.

@Harpa   Thank you. You left out sunscreen, but this is what I’ve preached here for years. For those who are looking for a magical cure for wrinkles that are already fairly deep, I’m sorry, but there is not one yet. BTW, even a facelift does not rid the skin of wrinkles. It alleviates sagging skin. You’d be left w/ tighter, wrinkled skin. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Tretinoin (Retin-A) works for me. Some people may not know this but RA doesn't actually 'build collagen'. However, what it does to reduce wrinkles is it does that by inhibiting a skin enzyme called collagenase which is found naturally in the skin. Collagenase destroys collagen and, with age, there is more of it in our skin so what that means is we get more wrinkles and thinner skin in our older years.  By using RA it is possible to slow the effects of the collagenase and that means over time the collagen will continue to remain in the skin without getting broken down leading to smoother skin. It's never too early to start using RA. 

Another very successful procedure that I have had done professionally is laser resurfacing. While at home I use microneedles to induce collagen.

Glycolic acid is another topical that has been shown to induce collagen. That acid is the smallest molecule that can penetrate deeper than all the other skin care acids such as salicylic and lactic acids. Because of that small size, GA can reach the deeper layers of the skin where collagen is formed. But in order for it to get there it must be left on the skin for longer periods of time...not just applied and rinsed off. Best to use a GA product such as a cream or leave-on treatment product and do that at night.

Talk with a derm. There are several non-surgical treatments which are used to reduce wrinkles. None are invasive and do not require surgery. Downtimes are minimal.

@SilleeMee   Once again I agree with what you’ve said. I’d like to add that many of these procedures and/or solutions may be preventative measures or not severely damaged and wrinkled skin. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the great information and personal usage testimonials.  I really appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom.