Honored Contributor

Re: What makeup doesn't work for you?

Dark, matte powder blush...like the stuff from the 80's...scary.

Full-coverage foundations, especially the liquids and creams.

Any kind of eyeshadow or face powder that has talc in it...makes me look like I have more lines than I already own.

Any eye color product that is berry or plum based color...makes me look bruised and tired.

Honored Contributor

A nude lipstick does nothing for my complexion maybe because I am a fair/light.  Too much blush does not work for me.  Years ago, Stila had the most beautiful blush and, of course, they discontinued it.  I keep my makeup simple "less is more."  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Bronzer. I've tried a million. I always look ruddy or just plain weird. At least I live in FL so don't really need it except maybe a few winter months. 

Esteemed Contributor

Powder foundations

Most finishing powders

Anything shimmery placed on large pore areas

Most warm-toned lipsticks don't look good on me anymore

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

Anything too pink. My skin is naturally pink and just clashes with pink MU. I wear either a nude lippy or medievil which is a sheer red. Blushes MUST be rose, and very light.

Respected Contributor

Anything glittery or metallic is awful. A soft shimmer is ok. Warm tones don't work either.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

None of these go with my coloring:

Shadows in the gray or charcola color family

Green and yellow nail polish colors

Nude/natural lip colors (although seems that can mean anything lately)

Brow pomades (I always over apply and they look way too dark for me)

Baby pink blushes

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I don't like full coverage foundations. I use concealer where needed and then a Tinted Moisturizer. IMO, perfectly airbrushed skin looks artificial after a "certain" age.

I also gave up black eyeliner or eyeliner of any kind. I use a waterproof black or navy pencil to dot between top lashes to make them look fuller (Trish McEvoy trick) & add mascara....1 coat. Liner takes up valuable real estate on my lid. 

@Shanus

Great tip!

Respected Contributor

Black eyeliner doesn't work for me anymore either. I can wear any color but black. It just looks too harsh on me. I use brown, blues and purples and charcoal grey. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can wear just about any kind of makeup as long as it's not too heavy and I don't like any kind of glitter at my age. BareMinerals really is my favorite, I like their whole line. I used to wear IT Cosmetics, but the past few years their foundations are just too heavy, they still have great blushes and mascara though. I buy Laura Geller makeup and like it especially in the summer, but that's mostly because Gillian Moran sells it on Beauty IQ and Ilove her. BareMinerals needs to lure her away from LG and hire her for BM.LOL, but not kidding! I guess I told you more than you wanted to know.