Honored Contributor

What makes a nail polish 'good' or 'great'?

I've always considered non-chipping and ease of application to be high on the list but since I've purchased a mini OPI set from HSN (50 shades of gray) I have to ask.

Considering the price of the highly touted OPI, this is my first experience with the brand, shouldn't color payoff be at the top? Like with eyeshadows? Apparently mini is short for miniscule (teensy bottles) and minimum payoff! I used 3 coats without full color payoff!

Is color payoff less important with less expensive brands? The sinfuls have great staying power and apply quite nicely but at 1.99 would you care about an extra coat?

Just curious what your criteria is for 'good' and/or 'great' polish.

Super Contributor

Re: What makes a nail polish 'good' or 'great'?

I want it to go on without being streaky, and be fully opaque in two coats (unless it's meant to be very sheer). Fast drying time. If it's supposed to be shiny, then I want it to be very shiny.

They all chip on me, so while it would be great to add "non-chipping" to the list of wants, I know that only shellac type polishes are chip-free for more than a few days.

Valued Contributor

Mine has to last a week without chipping (minimal wearing on tips) and go on streak free. I will not take the time to apply more than two coats, and I don't like the look of three coats as it looks thick. I have the best luck with OPI and Essie, but I really think a great topcoat makes a world of difference. Seche Vite is my go to.

Honored Contributor

I haven't yet found a ""great"" nail polish. Great for me would be a polish that lasts for at least 5 days before chipping and it would have to be a polish that lets me apply a thin coat. I like two thin coats and then a top coat. I never buy cheap or unknown brand polishes. I just have no luck with them. I buy name brands; they all have great colors. One of Avon's polishes is quick drying and has a narrow brush that makes application easier. But it still chips in 2 or 3 days. As they all do.....

Honored Contributor

Application and durability are most important to me.

Trusted Contributor

I just posted my experience with The Balm nail polish. Went on nicely and lasted almost a week no chipping. I used just one color so far, but I thought it better than OPI or Essie. But that was just one use.
Valued Contributor

Are you using a top coat? And for light colors a base coat? These are very important. Often the color is different than just looking at the bottle. You need to open it and look at the polish, see if it is opaque or not. All of my OPI polishes are good. Of course I do use a top coat even though the polish has a high shine. I will agree that I love Sally Hansen, Revlon colorstay even Nicole brands and they seem just as good.

Honored Contributor

Great for me is staying power on my natural nails!!!

Super Contributor

I have acrylic nails, but still want a color that lasts and has really nice pigmentation and consistency to it. OPI is still my favorite.

Sinful has some really nice colors, very similar to OPI but much cheaper.

Honored Contributor

On 2/25/2015 Nadjalu said:

Are you using a top coat? And for light colors a base coat? These are very important. Often the color is different than just looking at the bottle. You need to open it and look at the polish, see if it is opaque or not. All of my OPI polishes are good. Of course I do use a top coat even though the polish has a high shine. I will agree that I love Sally Hansen, Revlon colorstay even Nicole brands and they seem just as good.

Yes to both; base coat and top coat. I guess I'm just surprised at the performance and was expecting so much more from the higher end polish.

to chrystaltree: Don't be so quick to pass on cheap. The Sinful line is very highly rated in Consumer Reports and a lot of us have great luck with it, i.e., smooth application and long lasting.