Honored Contributor

People wax poetic about brushes, mainly expensive ones.  What qualities make you shell out that kind of money?  Natural bristle?  Vegan?  Then I see people buying whatever from Amazon without even knowing what they are, still saying they are great brushes. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What makes a good brush?

Are you talking about hair brushes or makeup brushes?

Trusted Contributor

I understand that boar bristle hair brushes are supposed to be the best. Not sure about makeup brushes and what makes some more special then others. Hmm

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Respected Contributor

For me....

Makeup brushes need to feel soft against my skin, NEVER SHED, pick up the perfect amount of product, application of product to my skin should be quick & easy, & I don't want the brushes to be full of dye. I've used both natural hair brushes & faux hair, & there are great brushes in both categories.

For hair brushes, just get it over with & buy a Mason Pearson. Yes, they are very expensive, but they LAST A LIFETIME. Pick one according to your hair type. I've had my 2 MP brushes for 15 years, & they're like new. I bought them online at reputable store, & got 20% off (or more- can't remember).

Honored Contributor

The no shedding and actually picking up make up all seems reasonable but I still don't get the difference between a $2.00 make up brush and a $70.00 make up brush!

I own both and am baffled...

Honored Contributor

I don't spend a lot money on brushes because I throw them away after two years. It grosses me out when people hang on to their expensive brushes for so long and even though they say they wash them, there is no way to get down deep where the yuck lives!Woman Tongue It's like hanging on the same toothbrush or bed pillow...both can harbour gross things. Woman Tongue

Deal breakers for me are the brushes have to have synthetic bristles and they must not shed at all. If shedding occurs then they are tossed. Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Another upvote for Mason Pearson.  They are worth every penny.  

Honored Contributor

If natural hair brushes, I prefer no shedding ones. I use one synthetic brush which I use for liquid foundation application. 

I clean my my brushes weekly with J&J baby shampoo and warm water inside a small medicine plastic cup and once the water runs clear, I know that the brushes are clean. I then let them air dry with the brush laying at the edge of my sink after patting dry the excess water and maybe reshaping the brush (natural hair ones usually need it) before allowing to air dry overnight.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

For a hair brush I own several natural boar brushes by I on Beauty that I bought at various times at Winners in Canada. They don't grab or tangle my long hair as the bristle are soft.

Makeup brushes I prefer taklon nylon ones, I also prefer that they be dark as white or light colored taklon nylon bristles or synthetic hair stain quite a bit from makeup and that color doesn't wash out.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I cannot use a natural bristle boar brush.  My hair is very thick and the bristles are so soft, they won't go through my hair.  I must have a nylon brush with rather short bristles.  It's very hard to find just the right brush.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment