Frequent Contributor

Re: What is your favorite drug store foundation?

Revlon CC cream. about $15.00, medium coverage, natural look, spf

Super Contributor

On 4/7/2015 Lindsays Grandma said:

Wow, now I am totally confused. I'll have my daughter drive me to Walgreens to check out the different foundations. I'm still struggling to get around after the hip surgery but getting there slow but sure. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Don't know how long it's been since your surgery, but keep going. I had a hip replacement

about 5 years ago, and you will get better. It takes time, but do your exercises.

Foundation I really like, especially in the winter is Lumi by L'Oreal. Don't know if I can use it in the warmer weather.

Good luck with your hip.

Frequent Contributor

Revlon Color Stay - Great Foundation - goes on like a gel - lasts all day, very pretty finish - lots of shades to match - the one in the Glass Jar!

Honored Contributor

L'Oréal True Match. It is a great dupe for the awesome Armani Luminous Silk foundation at a fraction of the cost. Plus with True Match, you get options for neutral tones as well as the typical warm & cool tones.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

When I retired, I knew there was going to be a ton of things I was going to have to give up and others that I'd have to go to the drug store for. Though I still purchase a few MAC items (they last a long time, which I appreciate), I did try a number of liquid foundations.

The two most memorable were:

Revlon: ended up like dry wall paper paste on my skin. Would probably be great on someone else's skin. Into the trash it went.

Cover Girl: This is the one I ended up purchasing and have used it now for well over a year. It goes on smooth and has an almost creamy texture, but not greasy and dries matte. I don't care for the greasy look. Once dry, I use a large brush and finish off with Clinique #2 powder. I'm staying with Clinique and can justify the price, because I use it sparingly, so only purchase it twice per year.

p.s. Just read about your hip surgery. Do take care and God Bless your healing process. I'm in a quandry about my total knee doc: he nearly severed 2 nerves, so I have lower leg and foot issues.

Respected Contributor

The only drugstore makeup I've tried that works well for me is an old one. You can still find it, but not easily. I refuse to buy anymore due to animal testing. It's the Cover Girl AquaSmooth in the big ugly dark blue case. The way I made it work (great color match) was by sheering it out with a damp Beauty Blender.

I caved and bought a new summer foundation at Sephora yesterday with a credit I had. I hope it works out. I wish I could find a drugstore foundation. I've found many good liners, cream shadows & mascaras to save money.

Good luck in your quest. Hope you find one you love.

PS - sfnative - I didn't even see your post above mine. I was in no way dissing your choice to use Cover Girl. I did for many years. Plus some of the other drugstore brands named here are not cruelty-free anymore--- just as some high-end products like Benefit who choose to do animal testing.

I also respect The Right To Choice.

Respected Contributor

Not to rain on the parade, because obviously there are great drugstore foundations. I just haven't looked lately, but I'd probably start with Physician's Formula or Almay due to good experience with their other products. But hey.. we're all different.

The problem I ran into was trying one after another, which gets expensive. They aren't so inexpensive anymore when you're talking about around $15.00 a bottle. By the time I find the right color match which often required mixing more than one shade, I probably spent more money in the long run.

I'm sure some of the DS choices are equal to or even much better than various higher-end brands- so it has nothing to do with snobbery. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Quite the contrary.. haha. I'm tired of throwing money away for a "name" and won't do it if I can find a comparable product much cheaper.

Just make sure to keep your receipts and return what doesn't work. Walgreens & others have great return policies. I simply got lazy about it- hence found I spent more money on products which didn't work- versus being color-matched with a fairly reasonably-priced foundation from 'so called prestige brands'. It's tough to test shades in-store unless they provide testers, which many do not. Even being color-matched doesn't guarantee you get it home and like the way it wears. We all know that drill.

The new foundation I just purchased wasn't cheap @ $39, but not that expensive either for the size- which should last a good 5-6 months. It's Urban Decays Naked Skin Ultra Definition Liquid. Don't you love the names they use to make it sound so special? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Plus these days the color selection of drugstore brands & formulas have made great strides- SOOOO much better and more forgiving than the too pink or too yellow/orange shade range in the past.

I bet Boots also makes a great foundation, which can be found at Target.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/9/2015 Chi-town girl said: L'Oréal True Match. It is a great dupe for the awesome Armani Luminous Silk foundation at a fraction of the cost. Plus with True Match, you get options for neutral tones as well as the typical warm & cool tones.
I agree! This is a fantastic foundation!