Honored Contributor

Re: What is your fav. cleanser for keeping pores clear?

@SandGirl   I believe your routine results in a healthy/active life.  I know I sound like a broken record, but this lifestyle cures a lot of ills discussed on the board.  I usually just lay low, because I've learned that if people don't ask, it is best not to offer.  Much respect for your choices. Heart

@SandGirl wrote:

@phoenixbrd  I do not have any pimples or blemishs just a few of these enlarged pores

I workout 6 days a week, do 3 saunas a week and follow a plant based diet  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@Porcelain  Yes! and, thank you. Do you have a cleanser suggestions with some of these ingredients listed in them?

I use CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser and would recommend it to most people. It works very well and does contain niacinamide. But I'd also echo @KrissyE that a mask and treatment such as beta hydroxy treatment pads or essence after cleansing would be more effective in fixing the issue. In order for these ingredients to work, they have to stay on the skin for a lot longer than it takes to wash your face.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd  I totally hear you!  When I get compliments and they ask me questions and they realize I don't have a quick fix they let it go in one ear and out the other. I am not self centered but I try to take care of myself, I don't want to lose my muscle mass, I don't want a bunch on toxins in or on my body, I flush out toxins with tons of water and saunas, I haven't had meat in 26 years!!  It's just a part of who I am, glad to hear you live a similar lifestyle <3

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

@Porcelain  Yes! and, thank you. Do you have a cleanser suggestions with some of these ingredients listed in them?

I use CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser and would recommend it to most people. It works very well and does contain niacinamide. But I'd also echo @KrissyE that a mask and treatment such as beta hydroxy treatment pads or essence after cleansing would be more effective in fixing the issue. In order for these ingredients to work, they have to stay on the skin for a lot longer than it takes to wash your face.

@Porcelain  What beta hydroxy pads are you referring to? Also, which "essense" after cleansing?  Thank you for your input!

Honored Contributor

For my pores I use 2% BHA. For me that is the most effective way to cleanse 'pore sludge'. Most cleansers don't really clean pores because cleansers are on and off your skin too quickly to make any difference. Pore cleansing requires a product that sits on the skin for a period of time...not just wash 'n rinse. Pore sludge needs to be dissolved, usually with an acid such as salicylic acid which has been shown to penetrate pores like no other acid can do.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I do use the PC 2% liqid at night all over my skin - During the day it's a little tacky and makes it harder for my powder makeup to go on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

@Porcelain  What beta hydroxy pads are you referring to? Also, which "essense" after cleansing?  Thank you for your input!

I think other ladies might have better recommendations for beta hydroxy acid pads. For essences, I use and would highly recommend two Korean products with a lot of niacinamide and calming ingredients in them: COSRX Galactomyces 95 Tone Balancing Essence and TOSOWOONG Green tea essence. They are both reasonably priced and available on Amazon.

Edited to add: COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid looks like a really good beta hydroxy essence you could try. It says it has 4% BHA. They recommend ramping up to it because that is a lot of BHA.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I agree a moisturizer or topical pore product which contains an ingredient like salicylic acid is a must for a clear complexion, but the cleanser is the first step to those products being able to work at peak effectiveness. 

When I was introduced to DHC breakouts and clogged pores were a key skincare concern for me.  The Pore Face Wash was a go to for me then as a cleanser.  The ingredient deck for the cleanser is:

water/aqua/eau, glycerin, palmitic acid, lauric acid, potassium hydroxide, myristic acid, stearic acid, glycosyl trehalose, glyceryl glucoside, sodium bicarbonate, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, isopropyl lauroyl sarcosinate, pentasodium pentetate, butylene glycol, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel extract, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel extract, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, citrus reticulata (tangerine) peel extract, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, lactobacillus/pear juice ferment filtrate, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, punica granatum extract, laminaria digitata (horsetail kelp) extract, plantago, major seed extract, limonene 

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@SilleeMee  I do use the PC 2% liqid at night all over my skin - During the day it's a little tacky and makes it harder for my powder makeup to go on.

@SandGirl 

Yes, I have used PC and it's a very effective product. I also have used Replenix 2% BHA / 5% AHA pads, too. I've even made my own DIY 2% BHA pads. Then after all the money and time I've spent on cleaning my pores, I have come back to using Stridex Maximum Pads with 2% BHA. For me they work and they don't break the bank.

Super Contributor

Hi @SandGirl I tend to have larger looking pores and up until a few months ago I was suffering from frequent breakouts.  I did a lot of research and learned a lot from the folks here too.  My ideal routine calls for very regular exfoliation.  

I use Retin A (tretinoin) .025% every other day.  On the off days, I use a product I stumbled upon called Moon Juice Beauty Shroom Exfoliating Potion.  It has both AHA's and BHA's and is a leave-on treatment.  It has become one of my holy grail products, I love it!  For me, exfoliating is critical to keeping a clear complexion.  As far as cleansers, I have quite a rotation.  I use Neutrogena Ultra Gentle foaming face wash with my Clarisonic in the evenings, after removing makeup.  In the mornings, I alternate between Murad Time Release Acne Cleanser and Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser.  

I know it sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't take me long to incorporate these items into my day and I'm very happy with the results.

Best of luck in your search and research!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~