Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is your fav. cleanser for keeping pores clear?

I'm in the 50+ and holding range and here's what works for me:

Clarisonic Fascial Brush ( I use the deep pore attachment once or twice a week)

Dr. Denese Hydrating Cleanser (removes makeup and cleans the face without drying)

Dr.Denese Firming Facial Microdermabrasion Cream( I use this 2-3 times/week)

Dr. Denese Firming Facial Pads(I use this 3 times/week)

I know this looks like a lot of product but I have super sensitive skin with a ton of allergies and skin sensitivies. Over the years, I have tried so manyproducts and have had such bad reactions and results. This is what really works for me.

I would start off with adding the pore brush to your Clarisonic. I found the Dr. Denese Cleanser worked better for me than Purity but it depends on your own results after your cleanse your skin. I would try one product at a time so you can see the results. If it were me it would be the Microdermabrasion Cream. It is very mild and is more like a fascial cleanser. This can be used daily but my skin sensitivies are an extreme case.

Hope one of these work for you.    

Honored Contributor

My pores got larger after menopause. I could not use BHA every day as it dried out my face.

After I started using Beekman Triple Milk Facial cleansing bars my pores are so much smaller. The bars are $28 free shipping for 3 bars right now. 1 bar lasts quite a while.

It leaves my face soft & moisturized. Any dead dry skin I had on my face is now gone from using it. At first I could not use it daily but I can now. My face was dry when I started using it.

Wish I had these back when my skin was so oily.

Isomers also has as Tea Tree Oil cleanser I was using but think it's a little much for my skin at times now. 

Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole  Wow! Thank you for all the suggestions, looked up the moon juice item, that looks very interesting!! Wish they had it on Amazon!  THANK YOU

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz  Glad you mentioned the Beekman bars, I actually looked into them before making this post, thought they would be a gentle cleanser to use with the clarisonic.  I do like some Isomers but don't use any at this point, i hate the price point and the Evine shipping charges... Ugh!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl wrote:

@Nightowlz  Glad you mentioned the Beekman bars, I actually looked into them before making this post, thought they would be a gentle cleanser to use with the clarisonic.  I do like some Isomers but don't use any at this point, i hate the price point and the Evine shipping charges... Ugh!

@SandGirl 

If you try the Beekman bars let me know how they work out for you.

I could not believe the difference it made in my pores. They are so much smaller so it must have really cleaned them out & keeps them clean. Guess it's the goats milk.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Thayers Rose Witch Hazel....but then i don't have trouble with large/clogged pores.  This might also be due to diet, exercise, and saunas. 

@phoenixbrd @SandGirl   This is what I use post cleansing, recommended by a dermatologist.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think any cleanser is good at keeping pores clear. You have to add some kind of exfoliant.  I have been having pretty good luck also using Differin Gel, which is an over the counter, synthetic retin-a type product, and once in a while, when my skin starts getting thicker and my pores really gross, I use a salicylic acid treatment (beta hydroxy acid) - it's an exfoliator that can actually get into the pores..  Clean and Clear makes one you can buy at most drugstores/Target/Walmart, etc. You can also order different Salicylic acid treatments through Paula's Choice.  I also have a moisturizer I bought at Target with a little bit of salicylic acid in it. I can't use the salicylic acid treatments too often, or my face gets really flaky. 

Paula Begoun's website will tell you that salicylic acid treatment in a cleanser is a waste of money because it just gets rinsed off and washed down the drain. But, if you want one, LaRoche Posay has a cleanser with it.  Also, Avon makes a cleanser with salicylic acid that is similar to the LaRoche Posay, but much less expensive (if you can find an Avon lady)  You could apply, let it sit for a while, and then rinse. I actually really like those cleansers, even if people say they don't do anything. 

For toners, Pixi has the Glow toner, which has alpha hydroxy acid. Not as good at getting in the pores, and again, your tolerance for it may vary, but it's pretty popular. Also, I think some or all of Clinique's toners now also have salicylic acid. It's important that, for the ingredients to work, the ph of the product is right. You can never go wrong with Paula's Choice products as far as effectiveness. I think the Clean and Clear products generally have the right PH also. (From what I read many years ago) 

Witch hazel is another ingredient that's nice in a toner if your skin can handle it. 

Regular Contributor

Well, now I can't find the Avon cleanser on their website. It may have been discontinued.  Ugh!  I'll have to stock up at the flea market this summer!

Super Contributor

I have hypersenstivie skin and I like: Perricone Gentle Cleanser (use when rosacea flares badly) or Perricone Nutritive Cleanser.

Honored Contributor

My favorite cleansing oil and a silicone cleansing tool got my pores cleaned out.