Honored Contributor

Re: What is your fav RETINOL face product?

OTC retinol products never did anything for me. I prefer prescription strength Retin A. I have very oily acne prone skin and am over 50. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I really like Paula's Choice Resist 1% retinol. It's not too expensive and I believe it works well.

Hi @NycVixen ... hope all is well.  Will email you soon!  I will have to look into the Paula's Choice Resist.  Have a  good weekend.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I really like Paula's Choice Resist 1% retinol. It's not too expensive and I believe it works well.

@NycVixen .. is this the one you use:  

RESIST 1% Retinol Booster

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

Hi @Boehm Collector No, I use the Paula's Choice 1% Clinical Retinol. I forgot she had added a booster that is also 1%. It's strong so you need to ease into it by only using it 3X per week at first then increasing frequency until you can use it daily. I hope all is well!!

CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment

A potent and uniquely formulated retinol solution that hydrates and delivers remarkable anti-aging benefits with a controlled-release delivery system to allow for even, consistent absorption.
  • Anti-Aging, Wrinkles
  • For All Skin Types
  • Advanced hydrating complex absorbs quickly & goes to work immediately
  • Diminishes the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines
  • Light lotion texture delivers powerful results
  • Use after cleansing, toning & exfoliating skin

~Live with Intention~
Valued Contributor

I use one recommended by by dermatalogist - SkinMedica .25%.

Esteemed Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

Hi @Boehm Collector No, I use the Paula's Choice 1% Clinical Retinol. I forgot she had added a booster that is also 1%. It's strong so you need to ease into it by only using it 3X per week at first then increasing frequency until you can use it daily. I hope all is well!!

CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment

A potent and uniquely formulated retinol solution that hydrates and delivers remarkable anti-aging benefits with a controlled-release delivery system to allow for even, consistent absorption.
  • Anti-Aging, Wrinkles
  • For All Skin Types
  • Advanced hydrating complex absorbs quickly & goes to work immediately
  • Diminishes the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines
  • Light lotion texture delivers powerful results
  • Use after cleansing, toning & exfoliating skin

Thanks @NycVixen

Super Contributor

Paula's Choice 1% Retinol is my favorite. I buy when she has a sale. I have used at least 4 bottles of this. 

Valued Contributor

I use Peter Thomas Roth PM fusion.  I swear by it.  It has changed my skin.  I was so happy to see the recent TSV in the big 6 ounce size as I can now have the luxury of using it more liberally down my chest and on my arms.  I wish I would have realized they will not let you alter the auto delivery to have it sent sooner than 1 year--I would have ordered a second one. 

Valued Contributor

@Michelly  I too am a huge PTR fan!!

I LOVE retinol fusion, it has changed my skin, I would bathe in it.  My other fave products are his unwrinkle pads, laster resurfacing eye gel, and irish moor mask.  What are your other faves? Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I think I've used at least ten or more different Retinol products. I began using it back in college for my acne - Rx retin-A. It helped immensely, and then my derm actually passed away (I was so sad. He was wonderful, intelligent, and highly respected in the regional derm community, and likely beyond). Also, my skin went from combo oily to DRY and dehydrated at around 25. I had to overhaul my skincare, and it was a long process, with lots of highs and lows. I began dabbling in OTC Retinol products around 27, and have used and enjoyed the following (and by enjoyed, I mean I had no adverse reactions, increased dryness/flakes, and had good results with my skin): 

Isomers Retiniacin

PTR  Retinol Serum

The Ordinary 2% Retinol

Dr Dennis Gross Retinol & Ferulic serum

PC Resist Intensive Repair Cream

Philosophy Help Me

Alpha Hydroxy Retinol ResQ

I am currently back to retin-a again, from my derm. We decided that my skin had normalized and was less reactive than it previously had been after my skin change, and so I'm on a low dose cream, and have had a great experience thus far. 

All that to say, I am still fairly young (mid-30s), so I don't expect to see crazy anti-aging effects with it at this point, as my skin is in good condition overall, but I have also noticed that it has significantly reduced my acne, as well (which is why it was prescribed). I would say I had mild (up to moderate every once in a while!) acne beforehand, and since being on it for 3-4 months, I have had very minimal breakouts, so I'm pleased. I can appreciate the fact that it's helping my acne, but also the long term anti aging effect I believe it will have. For me, it's actually less for the retin-a bc of my insurance, so I will stick with that, rather than less intensive OTC products. I hope that helps!!