Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is your HG exfoliant/scrub? Any substitutes for Exfolikate?

I use Clinique's exfoliating cream. I honestly don't find a huge difference in exfoliatiors.
Super Contributor

Another vote for Skinn Dermapeel - I am a convert! It is inexpensive, works well and really 'wakes' me up in the shower. I introduced hubby to it and he 'decided' he needed his own jar! LOL!

Super Contributor

I just ordered an exfoliating cream from asdmbeverlyhills.com. The ingredients look good and they ate having a 20% sale so I took the plunge. I ordered the brightening kit which included a vitamin c serum, skin lightening cream and the exfoliating cream. All three were only $52 with the sale they have going on and free shipping.

Respected Contributor

On 5/23/2014 susan_ca said:

My favorite drugstore facial scrub that can be used daily, for about $9 at Walmart:

If you there is a Costco near you and you are a member, you can get this for about $15:

Agree! When I do use something with micro beads, rare, but about once a month, I love this one. I also have some SSC Gommage that I've tried once and it seemed nice enough. I have no idea where I got this.. maybe in an old BirchBox which I've since discontinued.

Respected Contributor

On 5/24/2014 MargieRJ said:
On 5/23/2014 Mindy D said:

Has anyone ever tried using some puréed papaya and pineapple mixed with a little lotion? I wonder what will happen? This is a very good thread, Exfolikate is so expensive. What is a Salux cloth? What is BHA? What is AHA?

AHA = alpha hydroxyl acid, such as lactic or glycolic acid, good for surface exfoliation

BHA = beta hydroxyl acid, such a salicylic acid, good for exfoliation of the pores, good for more sensitive skins

I've used AHA for years, staring and staying with Paula's Choice 8%. After more reading, while Paula says you don't need both, I've incorporated BHA for the deeper penetration.

AHA is a mainstay... I use it at least 3x a week.

Since I'm not break-out prone, my pores look clear 99.9% of the time, a good cleaning out with BHAs can't hurt. I look at it as a better canvas for skin products to go to work.

I do know AHAs have served me well since Paula first put hers on the market.

Mindy D- Not to be nosy and for anonymity sake you don't need to respond. Just curious if Mindy is your name. If so, we have something in common.Smile

I too want to look into salux cloth. I'd imagine its a textured wash cloth that helps slough off dead skin cells. Just a guess until I run a search... lol.

I guess someone reported me for answering I don't believe in harsh granular exfoliaters from a jar or tube. I have a tendency for broken caps.. That's the only reason why.

Super Contributor

Skinn's Dermapeel.

Respected Contributor

MindyD and others who were in the dark with me... appears they originated in Japan and I want one.. or 2. Anyone know the best place to purchase?

First Google Search result:

<h1>Welcome to
The Salux Shop</h1> <h2 style="text-align: center;">The original Japanese Beauty Skin Wash Cloth</h2>

We sell only the authentic Salux Beauty Skin Cloth made in Japan, and shipping is always free.

The Salux cloth is not available in major retail stores. Personally I think these should be for sale on every street corner all over the world. I have sold many thousands of these and the response from men and women alike has been incredible!

I first discovered this wonderful cloth at a luxury hotel in Hawaii many years ago. After an incredible day of swimming and sunning I returned to my room and there it was. I can't imagine a shower without one now. Unable to find them here, I depended on friends traveling to Hawaii or Japan to replenish my stash. So here I am offering them to you because it's one of those simple things that just makes life a little nicer.

<h3>What makes this cloth so special?</h3>
  • It's from Japan where bathing is an art, a science, and a daily part of the lifestyle culture
  • 11x35 ins drape it down your back and easily wash your neck and back.This feels great!
  • Creates a rich invigorating lather exfoliates your entire body as it polishes your skin
  • Special patented texture stimulates your skin and promotes blood circulation
  • 60% nylon 40% polyester Hygienic and durable rinses clean and dries quickly after each use
  • Excellent for camping, the gym, massage and traveling
  • Longer lasting and more sanitary than a washcloth or a loofah product. No mildew odors
  • This Japanese National Invention Award winner, was created in 1966 and now holds patents Worldwide.
<h3>A shower is not a shower without a Salux cloth</h3>
Respected Contributor

On 5/23/2014 Rowdyone said:

I find physical exfoliation too irritating.

I get awesome results with 40% glycolic acid peels at home. It's @ $20 for a bottle of 7-10 peels on Amazon and the quality is medical grade. Work your way up to the 40% from a lower strength though.

You don't need a medi-skin clinic to get an effective peel.

Ditto. Highly prone to broken caps. Nice to see you Rowdy!

ETA: I'm assuming you're the previous Rowdy'sMom... but as the saying goes....

Respected Contributor

I have used Patricia Wexler exfoliating products for 10+ years. I got started many years ago when she first appeared on the Q. Everyone swears I am 15 yrs younger than what I actually am and they compliment me on my ""nice"" skin. I use her Resurfacing Microbrasion System w/ MMPi. She says to exfoliate everyday and I can say I totally agree. I use her Skin Regenerating cream followed by her Intensive Night Reversal & Repair cream both with MMPi. To each their own; what works for one may not work for someone else.
Respected Contributor

If you're an Amazon prime member you can get these quickly for $13.50- a set of 3. I have no idea if this is a good deal or not.. but I purchased.