Respected Contributor

What is your Fav. product(s) for encouraging natural curls?

I want to try some new styling products to encourage my natural curl, something that will enhance curls or make them come out more and give them structure without being crunchy or sticky which leads to frizz every single time.

Have you found something that works well? A combo of items? I would love to get some ideas to look into.

TIA for your time.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your Fav. product(s) for encouraging natural curls?

My hair is stick straight. No encouragement for me.

Trusted Contributor

@SandGirl What is your hair pattern/type?  That might help with recommendations as there are so many types of curly/wavy hair.

I started trying to skip the heat styling last year and encourage my fine, wavy 2b/2c hair.  I went down a rabbit hole for sure!  I have more products than I can count in my cabinet and don't like many of them.

Have you checked YouTube?  There are a lot of channels dedicated to curly hair.  I'd suggest trying to find a few with hair that's similar to yours and watch their product reviews.

Good luck!

Regular Contributor

Try following Manes by Mell on YouTube. She is a hair stylist but also has curly hair. She is fun to watch and gives a lot of great advice.

Esteemed Contributor

There are all kinds of so called curly hair products.  IMO many are just a fad and really don't work any better than a pharmacy brand.   I have naturally curly hair, and in my whole life I have tried everything out there.  In my experience Wen and Tweak'd  have given my curls there best look and feel.   My hair type was never in style until perms became a rage, then I was finally the happy one who didn't ever have to pay for curls!  LOL Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@lkat wrote:

@SandGirl What is your hair pattern/type?  That might help with recommendations as there are so many types of curly/wavy hair.

I started trying to skip the heat styling last year and encourage my fine, wavy 2b/2c hair.  I went down a rabbit hole for sure!  I have more products than I can count in my cabinet and don't like many of them.

Have you checked YouTube?  There are a lot of channels dedicated to curly hair.  I'd suggest trying to find a few with hair that's similar to yours and watch their product reviews.

Good luck!

@lkat    2B on the sides and top - 2C in the back, gets super tight against my head, my hair is to bra line in length.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl ......I have used Ion products for curly hair.  For me it enhanced my waves and curls and eliminated frizz.  I buy it at Sallys.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@SandGirl Because my hair is fine, a lot of stuff is just too heavy for me. My hair is the same curl pattern and length as yours.  If your hair is also fine, I've had the best luck with these products:

Sexy Hair Concepts Healthy Sexy Fresh Hair Air Dry Mousse - This is what I use first.  It is a lightweight foam that I scrunch all throughout my hair.  It's not sticky at all like most mousses and it helps enhance my waves but my hair remains soft.

Not Your Mother's Curl Talk Frizz Control Sculpting Gel - I don't always use a gel as a second step, but if I do, I usually reach for this one.  I glaze a small amount over my hair and then re-scrunch.  It does give a cast but it scrunches out easily when your hair is dry.

Not Your Mother's Curl Talk Refreshing Foam - I use this on second and third day hair to refresh as my hair is a disaster after I sleep.  I just spray my hair with water (with a little leave in conditioner in the water) until it's pretty damp and then scrunch this foam in.  It's lightweight but really brings my waves back.  It usually makes my curls better than they were on day 1.  I've even used this on hair that I wore straight the day before and it's brings all the curls back.  Love it and it's inexpensive.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

There are all kinds of so called curly hair products.  IMO many are just a fad and really don't work any better than a pharmacy brand.   I have naturally curly hair, and in my whole life I have tried everything out there.  In my experience Wen and Tweak'd  have given my curls there best look and feel.   My hair type was never in style until perms became a rage, then I was finally the happy one who didn't ever have to pay for curls!  LOL Smiley Happy

@LindaSal  Yep, Wen and Tweak'd for me as well. I always use Wen as a leave in and that is my primary but if I am in a super hurry I will use the Tweak'd shampoo/cond to get through my shower quicker.

Honored Contributor

I have fine hair that is naturally wavy but permed.  I have been following a modified Curly Girl Method, choosing what works for me. That seems to be a moving target as they change the rules.  Mostly, I try to avoid most silicones, drying alcohols, and sulfates.    Silicones coat your hair to keep moisture out, which can be great in the beginning because humidity is what swells the hair shaft causing frizz.  The problem is, curly hair is usually dry hair, so it needs a lot of moisture, and most silicones require sulfate shampoos to remove. Therefore, if you don't use a sulfate shampoo, your conditioners aren't doing any good.   I do clarify with a sulfate shampoo for hard water before I color every 5 weeks since I have terribly hard water, and that also will build up on hair.

I currently use Curls Creme Brulee cream and Curls Curl Goddess gel for styling.  They don't leave my hair crunchy, although there is something in the CGM about scrunching out the crunch which supposedly leaves well-defined curls without the frizz. 

Of course, there are other products like cleansing conditioners and leave-in conditioners, but those really don't address frizz so much.  My favorite Anti-Frizz spray has been discontinued, so I'll be on a search for that at some point, but I stocked up on a few bottles when I found out.