Honored Contributor

Re: What is with the obsession with white teeth ?

I agree with the poster who said "no" to "chicklet" white teeth. Beyond that, whatever you're happy with.  

Honored Contributor

I agree that white teeth are a vanity issue...so is straight and aligned teeth. 

As an adult, I had braces for the first time to correct my bite. The brackets left stained areas on my teeth. I had full mouth veneers done and now feel so confident with straight, white teeth. My jaw also does’t hurt anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Reever

I can’t stand overly white teeth! Seriously, don’t people realize how bad it looks? Sure, very yellow teeth look bad, too, but, as mentioned, there is a happy medium.

The super white teeth also glow in the dark. At least some do. It is bizarre! Freak show.

Valued Contributor

I call it the Ross Geller effect. Hate the trend and think it looks very unnatural, No better than plastic surgery. When I first began my nursing career teeth was an indicator of health, the color/appearance having some indication of what was going on with a person. Now a person can have white teeth but failing health. When you are 60+ unless you have dentures your teeth shouldn't shine in the dark.....and going there....most people do look their age, maybe a few years younger. When I see overly white teeth all I can do is stare at them in a "those are some abnormally white teeth" versus saying, "those overly white teeth make you look younger". They are very distracting IMO. 

Respected Contributor

I have normal ivory colored teeth. I recently had to get a new bridge and the dentist had no problem matching my color.  

I wouldn’t mind whiter teeth, but most whiteners seem to cause painful gums.  I just could not tolerate that.

Honored Contributor

@Reever Because yellow teeth look dirty and gross.

Trusted Contributor

I have a male friend who is very wealthy and had bright white veneers put on his teeth.  It looks so ridiculous, because they are so white.  He also is rock 'n roll type who has long hair and kind of looks disheveled.  Whenever I see him smile, I think of that song, "one of these things is not like the other."

I constantly get comments on how nice and white my teeth look.  I even had my new dentist call his entire staff over to the chair to tell them that I had the whitest teeth he'd ever seen.  I don't have veneers or caps, and I never had braces.  I do, however, whiten my teeth about once a year, usually before I go on vacation in the summer.  I buy a product on Amazon called "Watts Power Whitening Gel - 35% Carbamide Solution."  I came up with a trick to replace the usual trays you are supposed to use, because I hate those things.  On eBay, I purchase the original type of whitening strips that came out about 18 years ago.  They're the cheap kind that are made of a super thin strip of plastic, almost like the bags you get in the grocery store, that have a whitening gel on them.  I run the strip under warm water and rub off the gel that comes attached the strip, dry it with a paper towel, then use then using the syringe with the Amazon purchased gel, I draw a thin line of gel across the center of the strip and apply it to my teeth.  When you press it onto your teeth, the gel spreads out. Within a few days, my teeth look beautiful and bright.  

Respected Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

Laughed when I read your post.  DId you see the "Friends" episode when Ross over whitened his teeth and they were fluroescent?  Hysterical! 

I like white teeth.  when I whiten them they feel cleaner.  

Lots of studies now on clean teeth too...finding the plaque on teeth related to Pancreatic cancer and cancers of the digestive system.  Interesting....

@BirdieGal wrote:

I personally like white teeth. But just like anything else a person can go overboard. When your teeth glow in the dark, pretty sure you’ve done wayyyy to much.

Just like with tanning, plastic surgery, Botox, liposuction. Anything.

All in moderation.

I was just getting ready to post the Friends episode.  I laughed so hard!!

Honored Contributor

@Reever@TenderMercies@SahmIam@ Montana

IMO whiter teeth look clean, fresh and all-American.

My teeth stain easily (I should never drink iced tea).

I’m going to make them whiter somehow pretty soon!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

In the last decade a new trend has emerged : Americas obsession with porcelain white teeth. Don't get it... in the 60s 70s even 80s no one even cared about ones teeth color. Teeth naturally yellow with age. I refuse to get wrapped up into this craze. People are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a year on teeth whitening treatments. I find it ridiculous.

I'd love to have the white teeth of my 30's, 40's or even 50's. However, I've been on so much medication most of my life. Slowly the medications have begun to yellow my teeth. At 69, I'm well aware my teeth are no longer a bright asset. They are healthy, straight, brushed three times daily and cleaned two or three times each year. Don't have many fillings or any other issues. Gums are healthy in spite of the seizure meds. 

Everyone knows I'm on meds for epilepsy, diabetes, RA and Lupus. The huge question I'm facing is: Is it worth paying thousands to have my teeth whitened when I'll remain on these medications for the rest of my life? (Plus additional medications in all likelihood with Lupus.) Perhaps investing and giving my family a larger inheritance would be the better answer. My lifespan probably won't be more than another 10 years. I'm a confident woman. Not sure white teeth is that important to me. The BIG question is: Is it that important to others who are talking to me?? Do others find my teeth offensive?

Money screams; wealth whispers.