Respected Contributor

Re: What is with the obsession with white teeth ?

@Reever wrote:

Ricks teeth seem to be heavily bleached. I suspect his hair is also colored.

SMH

Honored Contributor

I’m all for white teeth but it drives me crazy that every dentist I go to all the staff have veneers that look unnatural. If I’m not mistaken they grind down perfectly healthy teeth to put those on not just teeth with significant problems. I get asked if I’m happy with my teeth and for the most part I am but it feels like they want to sell me a $20,000 smile. 

I just say, hey,I’m not on tv and I’ve got 4 kids to put through school. Lol

Honored Contributor

I remember when Chip Gaines from Fixer Upper got his teeth bleached pure white.  The juxtaposition of those pearly whites against his otherwise scruffy appearance was ludicrous.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have my teeth cleaned 3 times a year and always use a whitening toothpaste.  I don’t smoke cigarettes anymore and don’t drink coffee but I do like my Diet Dr Pepper. I brush 3 times a day.  Several years ago my dentist made impressions of my mouth so he could make custom fit whitening trays.  Whenever I feel the need I stop  by the office and get a tube of whitening gel. I’m actually pretty sensitive to the gel so I don’t overdo it.  Just 2 or 3 times a year and special occasions if i feel the need.

My father managed to keep his own teeth,and at age 86 my mother still has her own teeth.  It’s just the way I was raised. After my braces my father used to always say “I’ve got $5000 in your mouth and I’ll be damned if you’re ever going to go to bed with your teeth in a cup.” i am not obsessed with white teeth. I just feel like it’s another part of taking care of myself like skincare and hair care. I always want to be the best I can be.

Honored Contributor

White teeth YES

Chicklet teeth NO

There is a difference 

Yellow brown teeth - not since Crest White Strips came out

Honored Contributor

It's only the glaring white ones that catch my attention. When I watch reruns of old TV shows, actors didn't have white teeth.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

That’s on my list in 2018, get my veneers re done....it’s been 22 years so I’m way pass due....one of the things that ages you horribly is bad teeth, yellow discolored teeth...obviously the two aren’t the same, you can have yellow teeth but still have healthy teeth, but yuck, who wants yellow teeth??😁😁

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Have you seen the WaterPic commercial?  Her teeth almost glow in the dark!

I had mine bonded - and they are a natural color.  Look like ordinary non-descript teeth - a nice ivory color.

I used to work with someone (young woman) who had all her teeth capped in bright white (chicklets). 

My dentist mentioned when he was doing my bonding that he had a patient who was getting implants and insisted on bright white.

@ALRATIBA - not for a minute do I believe the WaterPic commercial about using it for whiter teeth.

I do agree with you about some people having them so whitened that they look like chicklets.

Trusted Contributor

Laughed when I read your post.  DId you see the "Friends" episode when Ross over whitened his teeth and they were fluroescent?  Hysterical! 

I like white teeth.  when I whiten them they feel cleaner.  

Lots of studies now on clean teeth too...finding the plaque on teeth related to Pancreatic cancer and cancers of the digestive system.  Interesting....

@BirdieGal wrote:

I personally like white teeth. But just like anything else a person can go overboard. When your teeth glow in the dark, pretty sure you’ve done wayyyy to much.

Just like with tanning, plastic surgery, Botox, liposuction. Anything.

All in moderation.

Esteemed Contributor

@brewhaha wrote:

I wish I had teeth.

@brewhaha Good to see you and know that I miss your "toothless smile" over on gamers!