Honored Contributor

Re: What is with the obsession with white teeth ?

@Reever wrote:

Ricks teeth seem to be heavily bleached. I suspect his hair is also colored.

@Reever

I haven't seen Rick lately, but just about every host over the age of 25 has some sort of color treatment ....   so what?  It makes them look much better under bright lights.

Respected Contributor

I like to smile so I do show my teeth a good bit and don't want discolored teeth. A smile is worth a 1000 words someone once said. Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

In the last decade a new trend has emerged : Americas obsession with porcelain white teeth. Don't get it... in the 60s 70s even 80s no one even cared about ones teeth color. Teeth naturally yellow with age. I refuse to get wrapped up into this craze. People are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a year on teeth whitening treatments. I find it ridiculous.

Hi @Reever...

You certainly have a right to your opinion, which I respect as yours.  Mine isn't the same.  The very first thing I notice is a male or female's smile.  Many smile with their eyes, too.  But to me there's nothing prettier than a bright smile.  It doesn't have to be intensely white, but yellow?  Not for ME.  It isn't expensive to maintain a white smile either.  I'm early 60s and hope I never adopt a non caring attitude.  I guess it's a matter of my own pride- good or bad.

Wishing you a lovely New Year!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

I’m all for white teeth but it drives me crazy that every dentist I go to all the staff have veneers that look unnatural. If I’m not mistaken they grind down perfectly healthy teeth to put those on not just teeth with significant problems. I get asked if I’m happy with my teeth and for the most part I am but it feels like they want to sell me a $20,000 smile. 

I just say, hey,I’m not on tv and I’ve got 4 kids to put through school. Lol

@GenXmuse

If you're going to a cosmetic dentist, they definitely "over-sell" veneers and crowns- it's a crime really.  If he's a regular dentist, shame on him.  I'm opposed to grinding down perfectly good teeth for cosmetic purposes.  Much different than someone who has huge gaps and real dental problems.  But to each her own.  I would caution anyone looking into cosmetic dentistry to do their homework long and hard.  I have friends who regret their choices now.  Natural pretty teeth ( depending on complexion I prefer more on the "natural for coloring" white side but never yellow)  would be optimal if you don't have a hang-up over your natural teeth.  Some can go with very white teeth from the bleached color chart and look great- not unnatural and glaring.  Just beautiful.  Listen,  I can spot a phony smile a mile away.  Then again, it's the very first thing I notice, male or female.  The smile is an important aspect to one's looks and overall health. And that my lovelies, is strictly my own opinion.

eta:

Whiting and poor aesthetics- which some are calling chicklettes- with cookie cutter teeth- are a totally different beast.   A good cosmetic dentist doesn't follow the LVI and other training type golden proportion and adds character as in real teeth.  I don't want to go too deep into a subject I happen to be fairly knowledgeable about. 

In a nutshell, the way the veneers or crowns are created by the ceramist, directed by and seated by the CD,  has much more to do with the look of phony teeth than whitening.   My dream was to go into CD to give people with horrible teeth a beautiful smile in a natural, beautiful way. That means a tooth shape that goes with their facial features, imperfectly perfect with natural embrasures, the tooth surface texture, opacity, etc.  If I wrote everything I'd advise-  I'd also bore everyone to tears with technical language.

You wouldn't believe how adversely bad smiles have affected some very young people who are labeled drug abusers when they are not.  They simply have horrible teeth and gum problems- many with the loss of several to all of their teeth.  It's not as uncommon as one might think and can shatter their self-esteem.  Some become agoraphobic.  They already have a fear of dental work in many cases.  Some dentists shame patients or they had an earlier traumatic event in the dental chair- preventing them from going back & allowing problems to get out of hand.  

Truly sad and an obvious area of interest and compassion for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Souperkrys wrote:

What does everyone use and suggest to whiten their teeth? I’m planning to start whitening them now since the color is starting to bother me. I won’t go ultra white, just whiter than they are now. 

@Souperkrys wrote:

What does everyone use and suggest to whiten their teeth? I’m planning to start whitening them now since the color is starting to bother me. I won’t go ultra white, just whiter than they are now. 

@Souperkrys-

Try SuperSmile invented by one of the old school cosmetic dentists who knew how to do it right.  I suggest you keep the "accelerator" on while you go about something else.. like shower, bathe, do hair,  wash a few dishes.  10 minutes daily in the am is adequate.  You can step that up using it twice a day, even though I'd suggest brushing 3x a day.  Then brush with either SuperSmile's whitening toothpaste or any whitening toothpaste.  I buy SuperSmile for the excellent accelerator component alone. I don't care for the toothpaste.

As a cancer survivor, chemo wreaks havoc on one's teeth and gums.  

Above all, take really good care of your teeth, first.  Cosmetics (whitening) is a far secondary.

Frequent Contributor

Whiter teeth signify youth and good health. It matters. And now that veneers are available - having imperfect teeth is not something we are stuck with IF this is something that matters to us.

Respected Contributor

There is such a thing as TOO WHITE.  That is probably from veneers.

But I like white teeth.  It does say clean, youthful, bright.  But too white is not attractive either.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautybella88 wrote:

Whiter teeth signify youth and good health. It matters. And now that veneers are available - having imperfect teeth is not something we are stuck with IF this is something that matters to us.

@Beautybella88  and others considering veneers, which I'd suggest over crowns, unless to preserve a tooth beyond cosmetic reasons- First flip through magazines.  The most beautiful smiles aren't a perfect row of teeth.  They all have individual character-  what I call perfect imperfections.. especially the lateral teeth.

Do you know how they prep teeth for veneers?  Be careful and do your homework.  You might want to look at my earlier post.  Be certain they can provide plenty of photos and have handled hundreds of cases.  Get a list of their patients to talk with.  I got kicked off of a dental forum for revealing the truth about tooth prep for veneers.  Let's put it this way-  once prepped properly so you don't have horse teeth, there's no turning back.  I wouldn't let an LVI cosmetic dentist touch me with a 10 foot pole.  They're all about what's called "the golden proportions" which looks as phony as all get out.  You want the right shape & proper embrasures to compliment your features.  I'd suggest if you're truly planning on veneers down the line to start doing your homework right now.  It's a long tedious process if you don't want to regret your choice.  Teeth stacked perfectly will never look good on anyone.  It's too obvious you have a fake smile.

Don't go by celebrity smiles you admire either- it can be used as a starting point, but along side your ceramist and CD, you need to be thinking about your own buccal corridor and facial features.  One size does not fit all in cosmetic dentistry.  Don't be oversold either  CD's are famous for overselling more than you really need.  You may need fewer veneers than recommended.  There's just so much to it.  When shelling out that much money, you really need to get many consults first.

Not to be redundant, but you absolutely must do robust homework.  Too many patients are miserably unhappy and end up spending 25-30k twice for a re-do by a different CD.  60K is a lot of dinero.

There's still the misconception that whiteness dictates how phony they look.  This simply isn't true for the most part.  Sure... too white doesn't look right on certain complexions, but the built smile weighs much heavier into the equation- the difference between a smile you're proud of, or a truly regrettable result. 

I'd say professionally whiten your teeth first if they're healthy. 

People don't realize how a smile makeover, if you will,  can ruin the look of your unique facial proportions and leave you looking different than you. 

Not to sound like an alarmist, although it's actually shocking in certain cases.

Honored Contributor

@Funloving wrote:

@Souperkrys wrote:

@Souperkrys wrote:

@Souperkrys-

Try SuperSmile invented by one of the old school cosmetic dentists who knew how to do it right.  I suggest you keep the "accelerator" on while you go about something else.. like shower, bathe, do hair,  wash a few dishes.  10 minutes daily in the am is adequate.  You can step that up using it twice a day, even though I'd suggest brushing 3x a day.  Then brush with either SuperSmile's whitening toothpaste or any whitening toothpaste.  I buy SuperSmile for the excellent accelerator component alone. I don't care for the toothpaste.

As a cancer survivor, chemo wreaks havoc on one's teeth and gums.  

Above all, take really good care of your teeth, first.  Cosmetics (whitening) is a far secondary.

@Funloving

Hmm .... you leave the accelerator on by itself?   I've never heard of this.  I've used Supersmile for many years, and have tried the accelerator with it several times, and never could determine any difference at all.  These days, I just use their toothpaste, and the tube of accelerator gathers dust.

Honored Contributor

Yellow teeth are very unattractive. Saw a house seller w/VERY yellow teeth. Big turn off.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.