Respected Contributor

What is with the obsession with white teeth ?

In the last decade a new trend has emerged : Americas obsession with porcelain white teeth. Don't get it... in the 60s 70s even 80s no one even cared about ones teeth color. Teeth naturally yellow with age. I refuse to get wrapped up into this craze. People are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a year on teeth whitening treatments. I find it ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

Re: What is with the obsession with white teeth ?

I like white teeth. I want to keep them as bright as possible thank you very much!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

You got that right...with age comes yellowing teeth and people just want to look younger. Whitening your teeth is one of the best things to do to make you look younger and you don't need a doctor to do it.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I have always been obsessed with my teeth color and condition.  Mine have not yellowed with age at all.  I take very good care of them, but never had to have them professionally whitened.  I Do use a daily whitening toothpaste.

if my teeth were yellow, i’d have them professionally whitened.  Women color their hair, get face lifts and injections and fillers.  Your teeth are part of the package.  Dental hygiene is good for your heart health too.

i don’t smoke or drink wine and I am careful to brush after eating food staining foods.  Yellow teeth make you look old.  

Esteemed Contributor

I drink coffee daily and once & awhile a sugar free cola so my teeth get a little more dingy than they need to be.  

While I use Whitestrips a few times a year I don't like the look of overly white teeth because they look phony to me.

To me they just scream you're trying too dang hard.

Honored Contributor

Wanting to look clean?

I think dingy teeth look dirty.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

There are a small number of women in Japan who blacken their teeth. This used to be more popular in ancient times but the tradition is still practiced  over there. It is said to compliment white facial makeup and make more of a contrast between the black teeth and white faces. It is considered to be a thing of beauty to have black teeth in this group of individuals. The term for blackening the teeth is 'Ohaguro'. I won't be blackening my teeth any time soon.Woman Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer white teeth.IMO white teeth brighten up your face!!

Valued Contributor

Because white is prettier than yellow???

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Trusted Contributor

I personally like white teeth. But just like anything else a person can go overboard. When your teeth glow in the dark, pretty sure you’ve done wayyyy to much.

Just like with tanning, plastic surgery, Botox, liposuction. Anything.

All in moderation.