Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is with Haircut Prices?

For a year and a half I've been doing my own hair: medium length w/ layers.

When I finally found a good stylist close by w/ moderate prices, they sadly closed.

I can do everything they can do, only it takes me so much longer!

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I know I had a thread on this 1 or 2 years ago but hair salons are charging $65 for a haircut and the stylist can't cut hair very good.  I refuse to pay that much.  I am retired with only my income.  Okay, I was happy with my stylist and I paid $50 and the salon told me it would stay that way that we want your business.  All of a sudden here comes a $5 increase.  Well it's $5 today and 2 months from now another $5 or $10.  I refused to pay it so it was goodbye.  I have a haircut with a young woman who is trying to build her client base and saw her work on the Internet.  She is charging $25.  My appt. is early next week so I'll let you know the results.

What I am really trying to say is salons are charging $65 on average but the stylists are noit giving a $65 cut.

@Katcat1   When salons reopened, my salon had gone up to $70 for a cut from $65...ad on a tip and her cut wasn't great enough to pay that. 

I searched and found my previous stylist had opened one of those one room loft salons. I went back to him althought he charged the same $70 + tip. He does a great and precision short  pixie cut and I go a bit shorter each time so it lasts 5-6 weeks. 

This is my only "extravagance" since I do my own mani/pedis and can do facials myself....except the occassional derm one that includes microdermabrasion and/ a light peel. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1   I forgot to add that some salons charge extra to blow dry. My old salon did that if not a regular customer. That added $25 to the tab. Ridiculous!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   $25 for a blow dry is totally insane.  I find that when you get a haircut for $25, everything is an add on $5 each for shampoo, blow dry & style.  I hope my appt. on Tuesday works out because I really am tired of paying so much.  If I had a husband (LOL -- I have to laugh because he would be good for the money).  I got rid of one husband and I don't want a second one.  Listen everyone does what they want with their money and that is their right.  If someone wants to pay $200 for a cut go ahead.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I pay $25 for an excellent cut.  Too many stylists and salons are just plain greedy

Respected Contributor

I pay $17 @ Fantastic Sams. I have a pixie cut that I like a lot. No need for me to spend more. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I had been paying $60 for wash, cut and blow dry for two years.  Going to same salon for very long time.  Yesterday without any notice the price was $65.  Including my tip that is $75.  As soon as hair salons opened up last year and many months before vaccines were available I got my courage up and made an appt and got my hair done, and did every six weeks since.  You would think i would get points for supporting my local business when others did not and they would not raise the price on me.  Fairytale land i live in.  No good deed goes unpunished.  And i am a senior to boot.  

Valued Contributor

I'm in Orange County, CA.  So far, my salon is keeping its pre-Covid pricing, but I'm betting it will go up.

I pay $45 for a shampoo, cut and blow-dry, which is mid-priced for the area.  My hairdresser is a sharp young woman who does a great job, and what's more, the salon is on the ground floor of my building!

Things will have to get pretty darn bad before I'm tempted to switch. It's such a lottery when you have to look for someone new.  I've had good and bad haircuts across the pricing spectrum, so you just never know.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

Around here (NYC) - depends on where you go.  Prices are all over the place.

And - in my experience - the higher prices don't necessarly mean you get a a better haircut.

Honored Contributor

my hair cut is $50.00. i just had it cut today. so far it has remained the same price for several years.