Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is with Haircut Prices?

I'm glad I've been cutting my own hair for about 25 years, I've saved a lot of time with appointment and money. 
   I also kept it cut and colored during the pandemic.

💇‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor

My most recent hair salon has been going up for years, of course much more since Covid, as IMO, it's everyone's excuse for an abundance of things, however........most recently I just started going to my niece (no she cannot give me a discount) as she works at a Supercuts about a half hour away.  I didn't go to her years ago because I lived too far away but now since we downsized we live much closer to where she works.  My husband got a mens haircut for $20 with no shampoo, for me it was a color, cut, shampoo and style for $75.   It was up to $145 at our other salon, we are saving $50!!!   I'd say good move!!!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Totally understand that the cost of living is going up, but you can get a haircut from $10 to $100 around here. Great Cuts had a coupon on the back of our grocery receipt for an $8.95 cut. Although they say you get what you pay for,  conscientious stylists could be working at any salon and you might be lucky enough to find them.

I've gotten those coupons for Great Cuts also.  You're right about the stylist.  The first time it was a so so cut.  The second was as good as any cut I've gotten at Super Cuts so, yes, I agree, it depends on the person and not on the price.

Honored Contributor

I just get my ends snipped off at Supercuts for under $20 and that includes tip. I used to get coupons emailed to me from them but since they have gone to a franchise I have not received any more coupons.

Respected Contributor

I'm in CT and I pay $45 for a wash, cut and blow dry.  Many salons nearby charge much more.  This one is 5 min. away.

I lost my favorite haircutter of 35 years and it's been hard getting used to someone else, but I'm getting there.  He was a 20 min. drive and charged me $50.  His wife at the same salon charges $70!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm glad I have DH trim the ends of my hair. Not paying for a haircut.

DH cuts his hair with a flowbee because he does not like the way they cut his hair.

Respected Contributor

My stylist for 20 years closed her salon this year due to covid, a back injury and a lot of personal issues.   Now I go to a very small salon out in the "country" (since I live out in the "country") that my husband found on his route to work.  My new stylist does a good job and I get a cut and color (foiled) for about $100.  A root touch up and trim are about $65 + tip.  Wish I could trim my hair myself but that isn't going to happen.  I manage my bangs between appointments, but more than that I can't do.  I have a double crown and a cowlick that cause issues.   

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The salon where I have been a customer for abt 30 yrs has raised it's prices dramatically since that Affordable care act came into being  and has raised it's prices more now. My stylist charges $70 to cut and to color  the bill is around $170 not including a gratuity. The staff seem to hang  over you when you are  paying  which makes me feel they are pressuring for a gratuity .  I have not had my hair cut  nor colored as often as in the past. One thing I learned when evrything  was shut down  last year is that I can live with longer gray hair if I need to .

I'm looking for a different salon .

Honored Contributor

I love not having to sign in Smiley Happy

@Katcat1 

My stylist also charges $25 and I give her $30.  My latest h/c was just a few days ago.  I had her make a few small changes and it's never looked better.  I texted her after getting home and styling my hair to let her know how much I loved it!

Honored Contributor

@tessam 

Whaaaaaat??  I wouldn't be able to have the cut I have now if I had to pay $100 plus tip (every six weeks) Smiley Surprised