Frequent Contributor

Re: What is the trick using a foundation brush?

Thank you ladies so much for the tips.  I think you may have solved the problem for me since I was brushing up and down and not circular.  I will give this a try plus I have plenty of different sized brushes that I can try also.   I knew you would be able to help me.  :smiSmiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@DianeFL wrote:

Can someone give me some tips on using a foundation brush?  I have tried the one that come with IT foundation and also the Tarte amazonian clay foundation and both of them streak the foundation.  I would like to try to use them but always end up using my fingers instead to smooth it out.  Thanks for any help you ladies can give me. 

on the TSV IT a rep from the IT company posted a site to watch which showed how to do this stuff, check out the IT TSV posts under today's special value

JeanLouiseFinch is right, use small circular motions and don't forget around the hair line. Before getting this IT TSV I was always using my Real Technique's expert face brush(Walmart and Ulta) with any type of cream or liquid foundation including a Mally that is just like this newer IT one.

I find a brush works best.

I have tried those beauty blender sponges but didn't care for them BUT I do have a flat oval makeup sponge from Trish M on HSN that I do love and is great for liquids and creams but I much prefer the brush for this latest IT using circular motions all over your face.

Don't put a lot on the brush, just lightly touch the compact than apply to your face as needed.

do check out the video that the IT rep posted though

Esteemed Contributor

@DianeFL wrote:

Can someone give me some tips on using a foundation brush?  I have tried the one that come with IT foundation and also the Tarte amazonian clay foundation and both of them streak the foundation.  I would like to try to use them but always end up using my fingers instead to smooth it out.  Thanks for any help you ladies can give me. 

@DianeFL , I am glad you posted you got better technique with a brush you have, but just want to mention, there is this egg shaped foundation sponge, forgot it's exact name, something like "the original beauty sponge".

The reviews and demo videos, are most excellent, this is the best there is. I've been meaning to buy it, because they say - it gives the most flawless application that stays put. There are copies and variations of it, I would like to purchase the original.

Maybe someone here has it, and can chime in.

Respected Contributor

@DianeFL I use a Beauty Blender sponge to put on my foundation about 80% of the time, but when I do use a brush I always spray my brush before I start applying my foundation. I spray it with MAC Fix Plus and on occasion a makeup setting spray will work just fine. I even use the Beauty Blender to apply my setting powder. I, too agree that small circular motions are the best. HTH